Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do you know if a childminder is fully qualified?

(10 Posts)
juicychops Sat 06-Aug-05 13:34:15

Do they have a certificate to say they are fully qualified? Can they forge a certificate? is there a way to contact the registration place to find out if someone is properly registered?

bonkerz Sat 06-Aug-05 13:43:52

OFSTED registered childminders have a certificate which HAS to be displayed and if you doubt the certificate is real you can ring OFSTED and quote the registration number and check. All childminders have to complete an ICP course which covers the basics of chilminding and we also have to do a FIRST AID course within 6 months of registering. Also look for childminders (like myself) who have a Professionnal childcare qualification like NNEB or Diploma in childcare and who have worked in childcare settings and have experience with children. I have all my certificates on display in my home so parents know exactly what qualifications i have. Hope that helps.

juicychops Sat 06-Aug-05 15:49:47

thanks bonkerz, that helps a lot

goldenoldie Sat 06-Aug-05 18:20:48

Bonk - is a diploma in childcare the same level as an NNEB? Is the diploma an NVQ?

giraffeski Sat 06-Aug-05 18:22:11

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Sat 06-Aug-05 18:22:36

Message withdrawn

bonkerz Sat 06-Aug-05 22:35:14

When i was at college i was told that Diploma is one grade up from NNEB, apparently NNEB is equivalent to 1 A level and diploma is equal to 2 A levels but that may have changed!

JELLYJELLY Sun 07-Aug-05 08:03:30

Gifaffeski, you dont have to be a memeber the national childminding association(ncma) as there are other companies that do the same thing as them such as michel morton but you do have to have public liability which can be brought from them but doesnt have to.

nannynick Sun 07-Aug-05 11:44:29

If the Childcare qualification is from CACHE (who do a lot of the childcare courses these days) then you can check the Certificate by calling them on 01727 847636. CACHE Qualifications Check website

You can also use the DFES website to list suitable qualifications for jobs in childcare.

A qualification such as CACHE Diploma in Nursery Nursing, or CACHE Diploma in Childcare & Education is Level 3. Newer qualifications are typically NVQ linked, so makes it easier to know the level.

Juicychops, not sure what you mean by Fully Qualified. As Bobkerz says, a Registered Childminder does not have to have done any childcare course beyond the ICP, though many do either have a higher level qualification or are progressing with further training. Talk to prospective childminders about their training, I'm sure they will tell you all about what training and experience they have. Remember also that Experience counts for a lot so don't rule out someone just because they don't have more than the ICP, they may just not be good at exams (like me).

With regard to registration of childminders, all Childminders caring for children for more than 2 hours per day must be registered. In England registration is by Ofsted. Scotland by the Care Commission and in Wales it's by someone else (whose name I have forgotten!).

The registration certificate can be checked by making a note of the Registration Number and calling the respective registration authority's helpline. In Ofsted's case, 0845 601 4771.

tiffini Sun 07-Aug-05 12:24:05

You can also chaeck with your local social services, they have a list of all qualifies child minders, you will just need her name and address.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: