Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies - How long do they last?

(15 Posts)
jothorpe Sat 06-Aug-05 11:23:21

I was just wondering what everyones experience was regarding how long a nanny has stayed in the same job. I've been talking to some parents locally who say its anything from 3 months, to 3 years. As that is quite a difference, I wondered what other parents experience was, to give a more balanced view.

soapbox Sat 06-Aug-05 11:50:40

My first one stayed for 6.5 years my current one has been with us for 1 year so far.

elastamum Sat 06-Aug-05 12:40:52

Our first nanny stayed 3 years, our second has been with us 3 years and we are hoping she will stay forever!

NannyL Sat 06-Aug-05 13:11:29

I did 4 1/2 years in my last (first job)and only finsihed when the little new born started school!

Done 8 months in my current job, which i love to bits.... my yougest in my current family will start school next sept, and i plan to def stay until then.... and as long as the parents are ahappy to keep paying me ill be happy to stay until they no longer need a nanny!

I have no intentions of leaving this lovely family at all!

Tips for if you want the nanny to stay:
RESPECT!!!!!!
If you treat them nicely, and let them look after your children without over ruling them.... imposing too many strict rules etc then im sure we will all stay longer!

NannyL Sat 06-Aug-05 13:13:20

Oh, and i had the most horrible job in the world where i manged to stay for 3 1/2 weeks....

my only regret with that one is that i DID stay 3 1/2 weeks, not 3 1/2 days or 3 1/2 even hours

omega2 Sat 06-Aug-05 15:23:48

Stayed 2.5 years in first job, 2.5 years in second
Then did loads of temp jobs which were about 3 months each
Now have been in my current job for just over 2 years and no plans to leave at the moment

matnanplus Sat 06-Aug-05 15:50:09

1y to 3.5y

a clear picture of family rules and expectations.

clear communication be it verbal or little notes.

recompence for extra hours.

respect all round and a united front to the children with any discussions later.

Tanzie Sat 06-Aug-05 18:13:51

Until you sack them...

PrincessPeaHead Sat 06-Aug-05 18:31:24

Never had one for less than a year. Had one who stayed a year, left to go back to Oz, phoned us after 4 weeks saying she was missing us and London and came back for another year! Current one is coming up to 3 years. But is planning a wedding next July to an Italian... sob. I think the end is in sight...

PrincessPeaHead Sat 06-Aug-05 18:31:25

Never had one for less than a year. Had one who stayed a year, left to go back to Oz, phoned us after 4 weeks saying she was missing us and London and came back for another year! Current one is coming up to 3 years. But is planning a wedding next July to an Italian... sob. I think the end is in sight...

Ilovemonkeynuts Sat 06-Aug-05 18:41:40

Hi, I think it varies with each family or nanny.
I have several Australian, New Zealand nnay friends who stay for around 12-18 months.

Personally I have been a nanny for 10 years, time in jobs:-
6 months
3 and a half years
1 year
Present job 5 years so far!

So as you can see varies!

Good luck with the nanny

mishmash Sat 06-Aug-05 19:22:54

Tanzie - naughty, naughty

bigdonna Sun 07-Aug-05 23:11:29

i stayed in first job for 4yrs and second one 8yrs and last one 4yrs.

bobbybob Mon 08-Aug-05 01:14:48

My SIL has nannied for the same family for over 10 years, possibly even 13.

ssd Mon 08-Aug-05 08:13:26

From a nannies point of view, I always used to ask how long nannies stayed with the family I was meeting.

Gives you a clue if the family are okay or c**p to work for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now