Advanced search

OMG! Can she do that????????

(21 Posts)
Toothache Mon 01-Aug-05 09:38:51

Right, DH is off work today, but was taking dd to the childminder and ds to the Nursery as usual. He normally drops dd off at the CM at about 8am, but didn't go until 9am this morning.

Her DH answered and said that the CM had a hospital appointment!!!???

Her DH is NOT a registered carer yet she has buggered off and left him with her mindees (2 babies about 12mths old)!!

DH just phoned me at wokr and told me. If he hadn't have dropped dd off later he would never have known! How many other times has she done this??? I am disgusted and am wondering if DH should just go collect dd again??

What do you all think????????

NB. i'ts her last week with that CM anyway as I've been really unhappy with her reliability.

Toothache Mon 01-Aug-05 09:52:03


goldenoldie Mon 01-Aug-05 09:52:58

Report her to the council and Ofstead - she is acting completely illegally and I expect none of the other parents know this is going on either.

If you ignore it imagine how you would feel if you find out at a later date that something dreadful happened to those children while the CM was not there.......................

bonkerz Mon 01-Aug-05 09:54:11

my Dh does help with the children and is crb checked and OFSTED are aware but he is not registered. I have permission from the parents of my mindees for him to be left with the children.

Nemo1977 Mon 01-Aug-05 09:54:19

Mmmm i dont think she can do that without the consent of the mindees parents. It is out of order as you dont really know her DH therefore would you trust him to look after your child. I would double check but it doesnt seem right to me.

oops Mon 01-Aug-05 09:54:44

Message withdrawn

littlerach Mon 01-Aug-05 09:55:39

My friends cm does this, I thought all spouses of cms had to be CRB checked.
Agree that she shpuld have told you though.

babynovice Mon 01-Aug-05 09:56:09

If her DH is not registered then he won't be insured.....that's only going to be a problem if something happens BUT as you say how often has she/is she doing this(?) and do the other parents know(?). I would report her, and I'm sure other CMs would agree. My mum used to be a CM and I think she would be disgusted at this sort of behaviour.
BTW I just posted on your other thread too - hope you're OK.

Toothache Mon 01-Aug-05 09:58:02

Thanks folks.

vickiyumyum Mon 01-Aug-05 09:58:17

i would ask dh to collect your dd and then ask for an explaination, why , is her dh registered, remind her that if he isn't it is illegal even if the parents agree, how many times this has happened previously and if you are not satisfied with the answers then i would consider reporting her to ofstead.

she may have a genuine reason for leaving the children with dh this one time, such as an emergency appointment for something private (ie, if i had a gynae appointment no way would i wnat even my own children there let alone someone elses)and she can assure you that it wasa one off i would be inclined to leave it especially as you are leaving soon anyway, and her dh would have had a police check!

Toothache Mon 01-Aug-05 10:49:54

It's just been a catalogue of disasters really. She would phone DH just as he was leaving the house to bring dd and say she was "too tired" to watch dd today!!!

Some mornings her DH would answer the door and she would be nowhere in sight. One time DH stayed until she came downstairs...... clearly having JUST got out of bed!!!

So unprofessional.

She's only there today and then Thursday, but I've got to write her a reference!!!

nailpolish Mon 01-Aug-05 10:57:38

omg toothy she sounds like a nightmare. did you say its her last week? if so, thank god for that. i had the childminder from hell, but i didnt find out til i left her, cos we were moving house i still shudder

are you going to talk to her about it? does she know why you are leaving? are you going to report her?

bigdonna Mon 01-Aug-05 11:06:34

i am a childminder,i only look after one child but i would never leave her with anyone else unless i have checked with parents ie when i had to take my ds to hospital.i phoned the parents and phoned a nanny friend to come and look after my dd and my mindee.My kids quite often stay with my husband when i go to the shop my mindee finds this very unfair why she cannot stay with him too,but if something happened when i was not here i would never forgive myself.And i dont think my insurance covers my husband.

HellyBelly Mon 01-Aug-05 12:01:12

All people living in house have to be CRB checked but this does not mean they can look after mindees. I recently left my handbag at the park and realised when arrived home. DH was there but I still had to drag all the kids (even though only a min or 2 away) as I'm not supposed to leave them with anyone un-registered.

Well out of order!!

ayla99 Mon 01-Aug-05 12:03:38

Childminded children should be within sight or sound of the Registered Childminder at ALL times. All persons over 16 living with or regularly visiting the premises must be CRB checked but this does not mean they are allowed to be left in charge of the minded children.

Only in an extreme emergency situation would this be overlooked (eg minder accompanies injured child in an ambulance while dh phones parents to collect their children)

seb1 Mon 01-Aug-05 12:16:04

You are in Scotland aren't you. Contact the Care Commission as they regulate childminders, if you have any concerns. If the husband has long periods of contact with mindees i believe (not sure though) he should have enhanced disclosure Scotland certification (his certificate should be available if he has it), the same as the childminder.

goosey Mon 01-Aug-05 12:27:32

If her DH is registered as her 'assistant' he will have had an enhanced CRB check on top of the standard one he will have to have had done already. If he is registered as her assistant then - WITH PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM PARENTS - he would be authorised to care for the children for very short periods alone. Usually to cover while the minder does a school run. My daughter is registered as my assistant and this is clearly written on my registration certificate, although I have never felt it necessary to leave her alone it could be useful in certain pre-arranged situations with parent's consent.
Your minder doesn't sound ideal and maybe has personal problems interfering, but the best thing to do imo would be to make an appointment to speak privately and honestly to her and listen to her explanation and/or apology.
You can always decline from writing any reference.

goldenoldie Mon 01-Aug-05 15:28:03

Please don't write her a reference!

Milge Mon 01-Aug-05 23:46:25

Report her - she doesn't sound great, and a formal complaint may give her the kick she needs to provide a reliable service or stop minding all together.

jamboure Tue 02-Aug-05 20:31:43

Totty I would also report her to the care commision scotland.

They will advise what action will be taken but she should be up ready for her mindees arriving.

What area are you in?

jamboure Tue 02-Aug-05 20:32:05

oops miss type i meant toothy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: