Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Quick Question

(40 Posts)
chocolateaddict Thu 28-Jul-05 12:52:44

I use a child minder one or two days each week.She has just told me she has taken on a child fulltime which is fine.
But this means in the school holidays she has seven kids in her care(including her own) their ages are;
14mths
21mths
2&1/2yrs
4yrs x2
5yrs
7yrs
I am not very happy about this and am sure this is over her allowance.Can anyone help?

Thanks

Distel Thu 28-Jul-05 12:54:28

sounds like alot to me but have no ideas on legal limits.

chocolateaddict Thu 28-Jul-05 12:59:59

I am not sure either and don't want to say anything until I am sure on the limits although I am concerned about the care MY children are going to get from her.

zubb Thu 28-Jul-05 13:01:03

I think it's 3 under 5, or 6 under 8 (where no more than 3 are under 5).

Are they all there at the same time?

chocolateaddict Thu 28-Jul-05 13:08:26

Yes, most weeks in the holidays they will all be there together for at least one day.I have always been happy with the care my children have had from her but I don't think even the best childminders could cope with 7 young & demanding children for 7 or 8 hours.

Angeliz Thu 28-Jul-05 13:09:56

definately sounds like too many.

chocolateaddict Thu 28-Jul-05 13:13:02

I am glad you agree with me I was thinking it was me being a paranoid mother!

katymac Thu 28-Jul-05 13:33:57

Why not ask to see her registration certificate (might be on the wall)

She might have a variation to have 4 under 5, but she seems to have 5 under 5 (I haven't come across that myself)

If you don't want to approach her you could ring OFSTED who can tell you what is on her certificate - but I'd ask first, I think.

I regularily have 6 under 5 with an assistant or even 9 under 5 with 2 assistants - does she have any help?

BTW - what age is your child?

Xena Thu 28-Jul-05 13:35:20

Sorry is that 7 children in total? Assuming there is, she would be over her numbers by 1 when they are all there. I often have more than 6 in my care but they would be over 8's the maximum 0-7yrs is 6 (standard is no more than 3 under 5 and no more than 1 of them under 1, but there are varients to this that you can apply for)

Are you sure that the 7yo isn't 8?

Xena Thu 28-Jul-05 13:37:28

She should actually be displaying her certificate, although lots of c/minders don't.

katymac Thu 28-Jul-05 13:39:06

Xena - I'd be more worried about the 5 under 5, rather than the 7 under 8

chocolateaddict Thu 28-Jul-05 13:42:24

No Katymac she doesn't have an assistant. My kids are 21mths,4 & 7. During term time it won't cause a problem as my 4 year old and her 4 year old start school in September so that will just leave her with the 3 under 5.It isn't so bad in the holidays when the weather is good and they can all get out in her brilliant garden but in the winter I think it will be a nightmare as her house isn't that big.I think I will ask her what her 'quota' is.

Xena Thu 28-Jul-05 13:43:20

Yes IMO that is too many, although whilst registering the new assistant we were told that those starting reception in Sept are classed form the end of july as over 5's, called rising 5's, but still they would both have to be going in sept.

katymac Thu 28-Jul-05 13:44:23

Do both 4yos start full-time or will they be on half days?

If they are on half days - she will probably be over her numbers

Do be careful - if she is over her numbers the penalties for both you and her can be serious

Xena Thu 28-Jul-05 13:45:39

i would really want a look at her certificate as the size of your house also determines the number you can mind. Her 2 4yo's count as rising 5's. But it says in the C/M standards that there must not be more than 6 in total.

chocolateaddict Thu 28-Jul-05 13:45:58

Thanks for that info Xena it is a bit more clear in my mind now.I am sure the 7yr old isn't 8 as she is mine! (although I don't admit that too often!).

katymac Thu 28-Jul-05 13:47:26

Xena round here they are only rising 5's if they are going to school fulltime (so lots round here go P/T to start with - so they aren't rising 5's until Jan)

chocolateaddict Thu 28-Jul-05 13:49:00

Both the 4yr olds will be in school full time by October half term.

katymac Thu 28-Jul-05 13:54:04

So they don't class as rising 5's until then.....this sounds really concerning - do be so careful - you mustn't knowingly allow a C/Mer to go above her numbers - the penalties can be vicious for you both

Xena Thu 28-Jul-05 13:55:08

The little boy I have starting in Sept is going f/t straight away but I will have him along with the others in the first week (which are 5!!! inset days, as his parents are teachers I will have him all 5 days, Ofsted said this was fine as he is a rising 5 from the end of July.

Xena Thu 28-Jul-05 13:56:19

It does sound worring.

katymac Thu 28-Jul-05 13:56:47

Yep Xena - but if they aren't going F/T those 2 chocolate addict are talking about won't be

chocolateaddict Thu 28-Jul-05 14:06:44

Thanks for all your help I think I need to ask her about her allowance.I will just have to be assertive(not very good at that).If needs be I will have to find another c/m .

Xena Thu 28-Jul-05 14:13:24

No thats right if they are not f/t till h/t they won't count yet. If you don't want to ask her outright OFSTED's number is 0845 601 4771

chocolateaddict Thu 28-Jul-05 14:15:15

Thanks for the number Xena I will get onto it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: