Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Just a quickish question

(15 Posts)
puppy Mon 25-Jul-05 16:23:33

hiya,
Just went to two mindees from the same family up from school ( iwas told they break up on the 27th), they did not come out of the classroom so i went to ask the teacher if they had come to school today, she said no their dad has took them on holiday, she went on to say things are rocky between the divorced parents and that the mum was not happy with them going, I will be ringing her tonight to find out what is going on and to ask to ring me on future, I only mind them during term time, the question is

Do you think i should charge for a full day today as she had not informed me and I made the 3mile journey there and back, also I have bought some items for activities esp for them this week,( they are 8yrs),I have discussed with the mum durig the contract meeting about ringing me to let me know if they can't make it and that its half fee for illness and days off when i would normally have them, but have not mention what would happen if they did not turn up without word, silly me.

puppy Mon 25-Jul-05 16:23:57

oops longer post than i meant

motherinferior Mon 25-Jul-05 16:26:39

Yes! If she didn't let you know, that's her problem.

gigglinggoblin Mon 25-Jul-05 16:26:48

not quite the same, but if you book a place at after school club and dont go then you still have to pay. i would expect to be charged for time booked and not used as you could have booked to do something exciting otherwise!

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 16:29:21

As you stated you would charge half day if you were meant to have them then I would charge that.
But I would also point out that if she failed to inform you in advance in the future, then you would charge for the full day.

Could you use the items you bought for the future?

Sponge Mon 25-Jul-05 16:30:05

I'd probably charge the half fee. Given the circumstances she was probably upset which might be why she forgeot to call you.
But I'm a bit of a softy. You'd be completely within your rights to charge for the full afternoon.

puppy Mon 25-Jul-05 16:33:03

Thanks for replies, I agree kid think i will charge hald fee and say next time it will be full fee, I don't know why I mentioned items i buy them all the time just ranting and was abit daft of me to mention

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 16:35:40

Of course it wasn't daft to mention them, you are annoyed and quite rightly too.

puppy Mon 25-Jul-05 16:35:52

At least i will have the whole of wednesday to spend quality time with my DS and to get ready for my holiday

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 16:36:58

an extra day off work can't be bad can it?!

I'm off until 5th September now, mmm, what should I do with all this spare time!

puppy Mon 25-Jul-05 16:39:03

kid wine and chocolate spring to mind

puppy Mon 25-Jul-05 18:46:46

all sorted, she was very apologetic, she says she has been in a tizzy all weekend and also its her eldest sons birthday today so has had that to sort.

I have just charged half fee and told her that it would normally be full.

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 22:38:03

glad it worked out. I did wonder if that was the end of you childminding those children. She might have found it difficult to face you again.

ayla99 Thu 28-Jul-05 10:45:25

Glad its sorted. I remember how cross I was last term when I waited in the playground for a child who was off sick and the parent forgot to tell me!

My contract used to say that it would be 1/2 fees if I got 3 weeks notice or more, otherwise full fees. I found that hard to budget though - it makes a difference to your bank balance when people are off at the same time.

I've changed all my holidays now - everyone pays in full if I am open and nothing if I am closed (except for 1 week at Xmas & at Easter & Bank holidays all at 1/2 fees)

Also I would have charged for any meals booked and for pickups/dropoffs I charge 40p per mile plus journey time.

puppy Fri 29-Jul-05 10:40:53

Thanks guys, I popped round to see her on Wednesday to get accounts/attendance book etc signed, she was very apologetic ans seemed in quite upset, I just said it was ok in the circumstances but in future to ring me and also reinforced that it would be full fees in future in a sensitive way, I too soft for my own good sometimes lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now