Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Need advise on childminding.

(10 Posts)
bambino1 Sun 24-Jul-05 14:23:32

I have recently been of offered a position to be looking after two children. I would like to become registered but can't use my own home as too small. Can I be a registered childminder but work in the home of the children I care for. Also who do I need to contact to become registered.

TwinSetAndPearls Sun 24-Jul-05 14:43:00

You can do this, as when I dd my training there were people aplying to do just this. You just need to contact your local early years service.

giraffeski Sun 24-Jul-05 15:27:42

Message withdrawn

HellyBelly Sun 24-Jul-05 15:48:06

I thought that too - a nanny.

katymac Sun 24-Jul-05 16:13:18

You used to be able to do this as a homecarer - but since April 05 this has been stopped by the gov.

Have a look on - there used to be some info

badgerhead Sun 24-Jul-05 16:46:54

why do you think your own home is too small? if you look on the Ofsted website at the National Standards for childminding it gives the square meterage requirements for different age children, I think you would be surprised at what would be allowed. You might not be registered for the full 6 under 8 yr olds but could be for say 4 under 8's.
Otherwise you can become an 'approved homechildcarer' which is basically an 'approved' nanny for tax credit reasons. This is an expensive way though as costs about £95 per year & is not administered by Ofsted but by another company on behalf of the government, I agree the NCMA website would give you more details.

bambino1 Sun 24-Jul-05 19:03:06

Thanks for all your advice. I live in a one bedroom top floor flat and have my own one year old so don't think it would be the best for the children.

nannynick Sun 24-Jul-05 19:03:37

You certainly could register as a Childminder working from an alternative premises in the past, though it could have changed. First point of contact would probably be your local EYDCP/CIS. You can find their contact details using the Childcare Link website.

If it is still allowed, then you will need to meet the requirements, you can't for example only be caring for the children who live at those alternative premises, you also have to be willing to take children from other families.

If you work for just one family, in that families home, then IR will consider that you are a Nanny... and are therefore Employed, rather than self-employed.

Some publications that could help you. Note: these are for those living in England. If you live in Wales/Scotland/Norther Ireland etc then things will be a little different.

Childminding - Is it for you?
Guide to Childminder Registration
National Standards: Childminding
National Standards Guidance
National Standards Guidance - Revisions

With regards to space, the best way to work out how much space you have is to make several 1m x 1m squares from newspaper. Lay these out over the room(s) you would be using for childminding and you will get a good idea of how many square metres you have.

bambino1 Sun 24-Jul-05 19:13:43

The problem with the family is that at the moment the children go to nursery but this is unfortunatly closing down. They get tax credits to pay most of the fees. Would they get them if I am classed as a nanny.

dorset Sun 24-Jul-05 20:30:05

They would not get tax credits if you are a nanny unless you do the nanny approval scheme (i think this is right) cost you £95. Last year you could become registered to work in the home of the children but you have to do extra training. This is what i was told.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: