Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

mother's help - whaddya think

(8 Posts)
motherpeculiar Mon 18-Jul-05 20:32:12

I have also posted this on the going back to work topic but thought I might get a different slant from you lot here -

I'm going back to work part time in September. Will be working from home two days a week and currently looking for a "Mother's Help" to come into the house to look after my 5 mth old baby and do some light housework. I'm interested to hear whether this has been a successful arrangement for anyone else?

ALSO I need advice on interview questions etc. to put to any potential candidates. ANyone got any tips.

I've been in denial about this until now (don't want to return to work yet but finances dictate ) and so am in a bit of a rush to get it all sorted out (as I am on hols for a lot of August )

advice much appreciated!

jules27 Mon 18-Jul-05 20:42:03

Where are you based MP as this is the kind of job i am interested in .

nannyjo Mon 18-Jul-05 20:47:22

make sure it is clear what role you want the help to take on ie how much time you will want to be involved or help left to their own devises or there is a lot of stepping on toes involved. get someone who is definitely comfortable with you being around becuase it makes things very different to normal child care.

motherpeculiar Tue 19-Jul-05 09:04:50

Jules, I am in SE London. Let me know if this might be of interest and I'll CAT you with more details.

MP

jules27 Tue 19-Jul-05 14:40:23

Thats a shame MP as i live in Luton , i wish you good luck in finding someone.

mogwai Wed 20-Jul-05 10:09:12

I'm thinking of advertising for someone one day a week in the north west. I'm thinking 10am-3pm will suit someone with their own children, though ideally i'd like someone a bit older. I will be at home on the day she works and want to share housework and baby care.

do I have to write up a contract and pay holiday/sick pay?

anyone know the going rate for this part of the country?

motherpeculiar Wed 20-Jul-05 17:02:35

Mogwai - have a look at my other thread where there are some more details about contracts, tax etc...(thanks to Uwila and Elliott in particular)

Good Luck. MP

uwila Wed 20-Jul-05 19:43:18

mogwai,
Go to www.nannytax.co.uk and pose this question to them. They are very helpful. (at least they have been to me in the past)

I think you have to be their employer, but if they don't have another job your taxes on those hours will be virtually nil anyway. It's only after about £100 a week that taxes amount to something.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now