Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pay rates for ex-nursery staff?

(12 Posts)
elliott Mon 11-Jul-05 10:53:55

I'm exploring the possibility of employing someone who used to work at my ds's nursery for after school and holiday care (No I'm not poaching her, she left about six months ago!)

The job would be two days after school care per week plus about 8-10 weeks holiday care, 3 days a week, for ds1 who is about 4. She would need to bring her toddler with her (not sure how old, between 1 and 2 I think).

Does anyone know how much nursery staff get paid, to give me some kind of comparison as to what she would have been receiving before. Or failing that, what would be a reasonable net rate to offer in this circumstance? she is qualified and experienced in the nursery environment but I don't think she's worked sole charge before, and she will be bringing her own child too. We are outside the SE so pay rates tend to be lower than average.
court of mumsnet, please advise!

elliott Mon 11-Jul-05 12:00:52

come on, pay rates usually get some interest going...

HellyBelly Mon 11-Jul-05 12:33:02

Sorry I can't help as I've never worked in a nursery. Thought I'd reply to help bump this up for you!

I'm a childminder and charge £3.50 per hour (£3 for siblings). If it's a full 10 hour day then I charge £30 a day (£5 discount). £1.50 for cooked evening meal, no charge for other snacks etc.

Sorry I can't help more! By the way, I'm in the Reading area (Berkshire)

SoftFroggie Mon 11-Jul-05 14:27:52

our local childcare link service, accessed via the county council website, has a job vacancies list . this might help, and there might be one for your area.

elliott Mon 11-Jul-05 15:38:43

Thanks SoftFroggie, that link was useful. It seems that mid level posts (like baby room manager) pay around £6.5-7 per hour gross (a bit of a travesty imo considering the responsibility involved, but there you go). I was thinking of offering between 6 and 7 per hour net, possibly more towards the lower end since she will be bringing her little one along too. Anyone venture an opinion on that?

Fran1 Mon 11-Jul-05 15:54:54

Depends where you are.

As a nursery room superviser i earned around £9 an hour. But i am in SE london, so if you live somewhere where the cost of living isn't so high i should think £7 may be reasonable.

Fran1 Mon 11-Jul-05 15:57:44

I agree very tragic isn't it. I now have a completely different job and earn a whole lot more, but have a whole lot responsiblity!

Infuriates me so shouldn't even get involved in a discussion about it .

Then look at childminders earing £3.50!!

Fran1 Mon 11-Jul-05 15:58:22

that meant to read a whole lot less responsibility!!

You can tell i'm wound up about the subject

elliott Mon 11-Jul-05 16:05:57

I am in NE England. think childminders usually have more children so it works out not dissimilar.

nannynick Mon 11-Jul-05 20:21:52

Nursery staff wages do not vary so much around the county as they used to in the past - possibly due to the big chain nurseries expanding.

Typically I would say that a Level 3 qualified nursery nurse is paid between £11,000 and £15,000 p.a. gross. Have just done a general search of jobs offered through Hays Early Years and there are jobs paying upto 20,000 - but they are in the SE and it doesn't say exactly what the pay is. Found a job in Manchester offering £6-7 per hour.

These figures are Gross, so your offer of £6-7 per hour NET would be of interest to an ex-nursery worker I would expect.

Nursery World (a magazine aimed at the Early Years sector) is currently doing a survey of Nursery salaries - so I expect in few months time, data will be available on how nursery nurse pay varies around the UK.

elliott Tue 12-Jul-05 09:21:33

thanks nannynick - that's helpful.

katylou25 Tue 12-Jul-05 09:29:24

Hi

I left a job as baby room supervisor when ds was born. was on a salary of 13,000 bout average for otside london i think. But without supervisory duties often only 10,000. One of my big bugbears is the low salaries for this kind of job - its something that people WANT to do so they can get away with low wages cos people still want the jobs you get paid more for sweeping the streets ffs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now