Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What would she be?

(8 Posts)
Mosschops30 Fri 08-Jul-05 09:27:56

Message withdrawn

ssd Fri 08-Jul-05 09:37:30

nanny or mothers help I'd say.

HellyBelly Fri 08-Jul-05 09:40:28

She wouldn't be a childminder as we look after mindees in our own home. If she was to be a childminder at a later stage then she would need to re-register.

I'd say the same as ssd, nanny or mothers help - not sure if there are any certificates needed for this?

Mosschops30 Fri 08-Jul-05 09:43:46

Message withdrawn

SoftFroggie Fri 08-Jul-05 11:13:55

I think she'd be a nanny. you'd need to employ her properly and give her a contract, deduct and pay to the IR her tax and NI and all the other aspects of being an employer. You couldn't, as far as i know, use her on the same basis as a childminder (i.e. she can't be self-employed).

lunavix Fri 08-Jul-05 11:16:22

Are there no longer home child carers?

ayla99 Fri 08-Jul-05 14:29:58

A childminder works in her own home, sets her own fees, policies, daily routine etc.

Ofsted say you don't need to register as a childminder if you
look after the child wholly or mainly in the child’s own home
 look after children for two sets of parents wholly or mainly in the home of either or both sets of parents.

"Mother's help" implies household duties as well as caring for child

Sounds more like a nanny (employer/employee relationship) to me.

lunavix - think the home childcarers were/are phased out, I never could see the difference between that role and a nanny.

nannynick Fri 08-Jul-05 17:49:29

lunavix, Home Childcarers are now phased out. It has been replaced by Approved Childcarers.

An Approved Childcarer cares for children in the child's home. Approval is via the Childcare Approval Scheme which does not do as much checks as would be done on a Registered Childminder, but does at least make sure the person has an Enhanced CRB Disclosure and First Aid training.

Nannies are being encouraged to join the scheme as parents using an Approved Childcarer can get some tax benefits by using Childcare Vouchers.

With regard to this specific situation, any care at your home is unregulated. In England, care provided at someone else's home (Childminder) or a childcare establishment (Nursery, Pre-School, Holiday-Club) is regulated by Ofsted, as long as care is proivided for 2+ hours - any care provider working less than 2 hours, is unregulated.

As mentioned by others, if you employ the ex-Childminder to care for your child, at your home, they would be classed as a Nanny for tax purposes - so you would need to register as an employer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: