Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Our nanny is leaving - should we get her a pressie?

(23 Posts)
Earlybird Wed 06-Jul-05 11:25:46

Our live out 4 day a week nanny is leaving us next week. She has been with us for 13 months, and is wonderful. I know she has really enjoyed looking after dd, and we have had a very happy working relationship.

Having never had a nanny before, I am unsure about the protocol surrounding her departure. Is it expected that we should give her some sort of pressie? Don't want to be cheap, but also don't want to go over the top either, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Might be worth saying here that I have told her that I plan to pay her for the full week next week, even though she will only work 1.5 days. Thanks.

MarsLady Wed 06-Jul-05 11:26:33

Yes!

MarsLady Wed 06-Jul-05 11:27:50

What about a lovely picture frame with a piccie of your wee one?

GhostofNatt Wed 06-Jul-05 11:28:21

I like to get departing nannies a piece of jewellery as something to wear and think of the kids - don't have to spend a fortune - nice silver bracelet???

bakedpotato Wed 06-Jul-05 11:28:27

Whereabouts are you? If near London, what about tickets for Mary Poppins?

Earlybird Wed 06-Jul-05 11:29:47

I got her tickets for Mary Poppins for Christmas - so even though it's a great idea, it's been done.

Also forgot to say that DD and I are taking her out for supper one night before she leaves too.

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 11:30:39

Definitely.

MarsLady Wed 06-Jul-05 11:30:44

nice bit of jewellery then

bambi06 Wed 06-Jul-05 11:31:16

facial/pedicure/massage. she`d love it i`m sure.time for her to have some pampering as i`msure youre aware its bloody hard work looking after kids!!

goldenoldie Wed 06-Jul-05 12:21:32

Going out for dinner and a weeks pay is pretty good in my book.

I would go with a nice card, a framed photo of the kids and/or a bit of silver - bracelet/ear-rings, that sort of thing.

I would not want to splash out more than about £30 on top of the dinner and weeks pay for a present.

binkie Wed 06-Jul-05 12:50:51

We've done goodbye jewellery too, plus a money present where really deserved. Jewellery such a good thing because if, eek, despite agonisingly careful choice, it's not exactly to her taste it's not going to take up room in her life.

For someone shorter term, a keepsake like a coffee mug decorated by child (Pottery Cafe sort of thing) is an idea.

binkie Wed 06-Jul-05 12:55:34

We've done goodbye jewellery too, plus a money present where really deserved. Jewellery such a good thing because if, eek, despite agonisingly careful choice, it's not exactly to her taste it's not going to take up room in her life.

For someone shorter term, a keepsake like a coffee mug decorated by child (Pottery Cafe sort of thing) is an idea.

Mamatoto Wed 06-Jul-05 12:56:57

I like the facial etc idea - then she can shoose hersels - a voucher for either goods or treatments from a lovely salon!

binkie Wed 06-Jul-05 12:58:22

That messup was because the server has been swamped with London winning the bid.

Aero Wed 06-Jul-05 13:05:18

When I left my employees I got a lovely photo frame with pics of the children which still sits on my shelf 10 years later! I also got a huge and beautiful bouquet of flowers and a rather gorgeous soft toy chosen by the kids themselves. From my other employer (I worked for both families at the same time on a part-time basis), I was treated to dinner in a lovely restaurant, another photo frame with pics and a rather lovely bracelet. It doesn't have to be much, just enough to make your nanny feel you appreciated her really. I'm sure she'll also want to give the children something when she leaves.

jura Wed 06-Jul-05 13:34:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Twiglett Wed 06-Jul-05 13:52:29

Yes

NomDePlume Wed 06-Jul-05 13:53:30

I would, without a doubt

AnnaInManchester Wed 06-Jul-05 14:01:03

I think a nice photoframe with the kids in is a good idea, then she can always look at it and remember her time with you, or why not take her and dd to the studio and get a professional one of them done together, although I dont have a clue on the price that would be.

tatt Fri 08-Jul-05 07:38:20

best present is something that shows you have put thought into it - the mary poppins tickets were nice Any hobbies - a favourite book, CD, something like that? I wouldn't give jewellry because its such a personal thing and can't easily be recycled to anyone else Dinner and a week's pay sound pretty good already.

anniebear Fri 08-Jul-05 15:22:30

Defo get her a pressie and a card.

I always kept my Thank you cards and have them in a drawer upstairs.

nannyjo Fri 08-Jul-05 15:26:34

please do get her a pressie, its very hard leabing a family you grow close to and something to remind her of you all and to show her just how much she meant to you would be very nice.

I like the photo frame idea, or a beauty voucher ie massage is nice.

UKMickey Sun 17-Jul-05 13:33:28

When I finished one of my positions many years ago my middle charge then six was a wonderful artist & had created a model clay horse (as if lying down in the meadow) approx 6" long 2-3" thick painted in a fine black glaise...esquisite (oop's spelling!!)signed & dated underneath, I still have it displayed upon my welsh dresser today...cherished for 20yrs, from the family a lovely tip $ & a lovely family photo with the (3)children 20mths,6yrs & 9yrs.

Another family a beautiful photo of my then charge a tip & ballet ticket.

Most Maternity positions... I collect silver & most of my Mummy's & Daddies present me with a lovely piece of silver. Others a lovely book & most important send with regards & signed from the family with a few piccy's.

Keep sake things are lovely which usually are even more appreciated when we are much older.

I am so glad you & your family have had a wonderful experience in employing a nanny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: