Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Before/After school care, dd starts next Sept. When should I be looking???

(7 Posts)
PooPooGirl Wed 06-Jul-05 10:12:55

DD starts school next September, I believe I am supposed to put her name down for schools in October. I will also need before and after school care but how and when do I go about this?

TIA

HellyBelly Wed 06-Jul-05 10:16:53

Hi PooPooGirl

I'm not sure about the schools and putting names down, all I know is that I want my ds to go to a particular school (part time) when he's 3 and I put his name down last year (he's 2 and a bit now). This is only because I wanted this school.

As for before and after school care, I am a childminder and offer school runs which would include taking them and picking up from school at required times. This is an option but I really don't think you need to think about this until next year as childminders won't (usually) know this far in advance whether or not they can offer you a school run. There are also breakfast clubs and after school clubs in certain areas.

Sorry I can't help more.

lunavix Wed 06-Jul-05 10:18:46

I'd say start looking about 6 months in advance, then try and secure a place a couple of months before.

PooPooGirl Wed 06-Jul-05 10:40:04

<phew> I feel a bit better now. Someone told me I should be looking now!

PooPooGirl Wed 06-Jul-05 10:40:15

Thanks!

badgerhead Wed 06-Jul-05 10:55:23

You should get a letter from your local education authority in about October for the following September ask you to put down the school(s) of your choice & telling you about the way they allocate spaces. You won't hear until about April/May whether you have got a space in the school of your choice. Once that is confirmed then start looking for before & after school care soon after, especially if there is a shortage of childminders or after school club spaces for that school. With a childminder be prepared to pay a deposit or a retainer fee to reserve the space for the September.

vickiyumyum Wed 06-Jul-05 11:02:01

depends on teh school to be honest. the school that my ds1 goes to has such a long waiting list that een though my ds2 doesn't even start the nursery until september i have put his name down for breakfast and after school clubs for the following year!
i would contact the school and see what the waiting lists are like for their clubs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now