Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny hours

(4 Posts)
SoftFroggie Tue 05-Jul-05 22:59:44

How long should I allow for my nanny's hours ON TOP of the time I'm out of the house? If I were to leave home at 8:30am, say, I would want her (him) to start a little earlier, and the same for hand over in the evening. So if I'm out of the house for, say, 9 hours, should I be paying for 9.5?
Thanks.

Aero Tue 05-Jul-05 23:34:31

I'd say 15 minutes each side would be enough. I often stayed longer than that at the end of the day when I was a nanny (my choice), and sometimes my employer ran late, but I rarely minded as long as it wasn't too often. We just enjoyed a chat and a catch up at the end of the day and the occasional cuppa if I wasn't rushing out the door for a night out with my then boyfriend (now dh)!!!

nannynick Wed 06-Jul-05 10:11:32

9.5 hours sounds fine, though if it is a 5 days per week position, then perhaps add another 30 mins to the total hours per week to make a nice round number, also gives you more time to spend once a week doing a longer handover/chat about how things are working out etc. Also gives you some extra time to use should you ever be late home. Having say 48 hours per week also may make wage calculation a little easier.

Nice to see you say (him) SoftFroggie... always like it when parents will consider nannies of any gender

SoftFroggie Wed 06-Jul-05 10:20:42

Personally, NannyNick, all else being equal, I'd be delighted to see a male nanny. As a woman working in a male-dominated industry, I've been subject to plenty of clients refusing to have me on their sites , I've said enough times that my ability to do my job does not lie in my genitalia , and wouldn't assume that any other job is any different. Sadly, haven't seen any male nannies' CVs for this post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now