Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders: OFSTED are coming, this afternoon !!! Need advice

(15 Posts)
Diddle Tue 05-Jul-05 11:46:58

They have called this morning, talk about short notice. not to do a check or inspection, but to authorise me having over my number for 30 mins a few days a week.
I wanted to check if legally i should have stair gates on with my 2 1/2 yr olds. i know they can open them themselves, but i heard there was a legal age where we have to have them on all the time. any ideas anyone??

JELLYJELLY Tue 05-Jul-05 11:48:49

I would keep them on all the time, are you talking about up and bottom stairs or between rooms?

KatyMac Tue 05-Jul-05 11:51:20

I don't think it is age related - more a gesture towards safety, i'd leave them on

Diddle Tue 05-Jul-05 12:32:41

ok thanks, they're not on at the moment, as i know the kids are capable of going up and down, but will put them on the stairs after lunch.

I'm terrified that they'll find fault with something. i've already had an inspection 6 months ago and got a good, but if ever she finds something wrong i won't be impressed. not that she should

alibubbles Tue 05-Jul-05 12:37:57

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Tue 05-Jul-05 12:48:07

We have the stairgates that don't have a bar at the bottom

IMHO you should have them esp. if the parents have them at home

Even adults sometimes can't open ours when they want to go upstairs to the bathroom so there is no way a 2 year old can do it

No mindees go upstairs anyway

feelingold Tue 05-Jul-05 13:49:05

When I had my inspection to become registered my inspector told me that you should always have stairgates on once you start minding children.

RTKangaMummy Tue 05-Jul-05 13:53:56

Apparently there is one rule for some and another one for others isn't there?

We had the gates from when DS was little and so they just stayed up IYSWIM

Also have one across kitchen doorway

Diddle Tue 05-Jul-05 17:05:22

well thank you all for the advice, i agree it does appear to one rule for one and one for the other. I decided not to put them on, i don't normally so why change now. I know the children don't have them on at home, and how will they ever learn if we protect them from everything? obviosuly with the ones that are just walking or crawling i woudl have them on, but i am confident in the childrens ability and they never use the stairs without me.
And that is what i would tell ofsted if they asked.
She has been and didn't mention the gates, didn't inspect anything, she agreed my request for having 4 under 5's for continuity of care but i can't start until my certificate arrives. which could be ages knowing Ofsted and is very annoying.

RTKangaMummy Tue 05-Jul-05 17:12:14

Glad you have it over and done with

And hope you get certificate soon

JELLYJELLY Tue 05-Jul-05 18:04:31

what is iyswim and ds dd dh?

charliecat Tue 05-Jul-05 18:11:35

If You See What I Mean dear son dear daughter dear husband....

JELLYJELLY Tue 05-Jul-05 18:21:05

thank you i thought it might have been darling...

RTKangaMummy Tue 05-Jul-05 18:22:00

DS can also mean downs syndrome

alibubbles Tue 05-Jul-05 18:54:26

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now