Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What type of help best?

(5 Posts)
Fisha Mon 04-Jul-05 14:51:09

Am pregnant with no 2 due in Dec, DD1 will be 19 months. Am hoping to get some help (so I don;t lose my mind) for the first few months and was interested in what kind of help others found most useful. Was thinking about 4 mornings a week for 3 possibly 6 months depending on finances but don;t know whether a nanny would be best or a mothers help (they'd ahve to be live out). To be honest its just having that second pair of hands to help manage both kids . Anyone got any ideas?
thxs

SoftFroggie Mon 04-Jul-05 16:33:06

If I were you I'd go for a mothers help, as in general (a) cheaper, and (b) more likely to be willing to do domestic chores while you look after kids, rather than insist on only doing childcare while you unpack the dishwasher / change the beds.

The part-time could make it tricky to find the right person, but if you could cope with only having someone in term time, this might nicely suit a mother of school kids. (or even if not, as won't cover the summer break). Try advertising in the local school noticeboard?

blodwen Mon 04-Jul-05 19:50:39

Try asking at your local college. The childcare students have to do placements with babies and toddlers, and they are often looking out for families just like yours! They cannot be left in sole charge, but are great for an extra pair of hands, for playing, outings etc. etc.

bigdonna Tue 05-Jul-05 09:36:59

you could advertise for a nanny in local shop as some nannies have kids in school all day and mornings free.I have a friend whom takes her own dd to nanny job then during day she helps out a mother with three kids for a couple of hours.

jules27 Wed 06-Jul-05 11:17:11

Hi Fisha, where do you live, i am looking for this type of work . As i am a older mum with three school aged children ,but as my youngest has Down's syndrome cannot work full time .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now