Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

leaving very young babies with babysitters

(22 Posts)
Kelly1978 Mon 04-Jul-05 14:32:32

Has anyone had babysitting for very young babies? I always used sitters for my older two, and cancelled the membership when I had the twins. I never had a problem wiht them with the older two, but they were always in bed anyway.

I'm getting tempted to renew the membership now the twins are 3 mnths old, so that dp and I can have a night out once in a while. The agency have said they can handle it, they sit babies form birth apprently, but I still not sure whether to go for it or not.

Has anyone had babysitters or sat very young babies? The twins are gettign into a routine, would I expect the sitter to follow that? What if they both start screaming, will the sitter be able to cope? I really wouldn't be worried if there was only one, but twins are so much harder.

kid Mon 04-Jul-05 14:35:24

I used to babysit a little girl when she was 6 weeks old.
I carried on babysitting her until she was 6, along with her younger brother.

I can imagine twins would be much harder work though.

marne Mon 04-Jul-05 14:36:18

Have only left mine with family but i would say a sitter would be fine, i would exoect them to follow your routine, im sure they would cope ok. If you can cope with them then theres no reason why they wont be able to! Go for it, have a night out!

Kelly1978 Mon 04-Jul-05 14:38:16

I get the dts off to sleep by takign them thru to our bedroom, swaddling them, and giving them a bottle in semi-darkness, then putitng them in their cots. Can I ask the sitter to do that?

tiffini Mon 04-Jul-05 14:43:41

My dts ate 19 months now, and i have'nt had the courage to leave them with anyone yet except DH, I think perhaps i need to loosen up a bit and stop wrapping them up in cotton wool

marne Mon 04-Jul-05 14:46:31

im sure you can, im sure they will do it, because if they dont then they wont sleep and the sitter will have more work on there hands, all you can do is talk to the sitter and see what they are willing to do, im sure it will be fine.

JELLYJELLY Mon 04-Jul-05 15:00:23

I am presumming that you would be using a professional agency where most of them have their own kids and not a fifteen yr old?.

I am a professional babysitter and childminder by day (and yes have looked after twins, and a two year old at the same time) and would not have any problems what so ever in keeping to your routine or coping with two babies crying at the same time.

I would be happy to follow your routine, milk in the dark etc.

Go for it, have a night out and enjoy yourself.

I work for sitters where you pay for a booking fee and the babysitter when you use it, you can call them on 08003890038

Kelly1978 Mon 04-Jul-05 15:52:54

JJ - I always used sitters before, and it was them I wanted to go back to. I've always foudn them great, just a bit nervous about leaving the twins. ds and dd are just turned 3 and 5 and were always in bed. Don't supposed you are based in Croydon by any chance?

blodwen Mon 04-Jul-05 19:47:31

I used to do the interviews for Sitters, and all their babysitters have to be qualified and experienced in childcare, and over 21. References are taken up. I think you should go for it. Explain the situation to the agency and ask for someone with lots of baby and/or twin experience. Lets face it, if she can't cope, she can always phone you! If everything turns out fine, ask for her again next time. Enjoy yourself.

JELLYJELLY Mon 04-Jul-05 20:07:46

Sorry Kelly i am in Reading, so if anyone else needs one in reading always up for working.

LilMissy Mon 04-Jul-05 22:31:40

Would it be worth getting two sitters just in case?

LilMissy Mon 04-Jul-05 22:33:41

that wasn't very clear. I meant just in case they couldn't settle the twins or your older two woke up. Would you feel happier having two sitters?

MarsLady Mon 04-Jul-05 22:34:52

kelly my angel, once mine were 6 weeks I was out the door. Go for it dollface. They'll be fine. Sitters are very reputable and I'm sure that they will match you with good reliable sitters who can more than cope with twins. I leave mine with my lovely 16 year old and from when I first left them I left them with my lovely 18 yo male babysitter.

nannyjo Mon 04-Jul-05 22:35:00

jellyjelly do you nanny in Reading??

nannyjo Mon 04-Jul-05 22:37:13

Kelly czn you arrange to meet the sitter before you leave them and have peace of mind they are competent and your kids are gonna be safe.

I've babysat loads and trust me if there were any problems i would call the parent asap cos i know thats what they would want.

Flum Mon 04-Jul-05 22:40:08

Two sitters?

JELLYJELLY Tue 05-Jul-05 07:44:13

nanny jo yes i work in Tilehurst, but as a childminder not as a nanny.

Kelly1978 Tue 05-Jul-05 14:52:15

two sitters works out very expensive, I'd never be able to afford it. Also not possible to meet sitter beforehand with agency. There are a couple I particulary liked tho, adn one I def didn't so we'd have to see who they offer us. I think I'm going to go for it though. Prob jsut go for pizza and cinema first time, then can always dash hoem with it in a box if need be!

Thanks for all the replies.

nannynick Tue 05-Jul-05 21:43:47

Kelly, many of the more mature nannies out there will have experience caring for young babies.

Certainly as a babysitter myself I have cared for many babies aged from 3-days old upwards, including twins. (I won't post my website, I'm sure anyone that interested can easily find it - just search Google!)

Personally I would avoid using an agency, as most agencies will not be able to guarentee you the same person to babysit. With babies you want to try and have consistancy of care, so your children don't mind you going out, so that the carer knows your children, knows your home and any pets, knows the routines etc. You don't really want to have someone new everytime you fancy a few hours out with DP without the children in tow.

You also want to leave your home happy that your children will be well cared for, you can hardly do that if you've just spent 5 minutes getting to know a sitter who has just arrived for the night who you may never see again.

Try the shop window approach, aiming at nannies who may be working in your area... you may strike lucky. Also use NannyJob and search Google for childcare providers in your area who do the odd bit of evening work.

Kid - I find twins easier than singletons. Currently babysit for two sets of twins - both are a pleasure to babysit for.

Kelly wrote>I get the dts off to sleep by takign them thru to our bedroom, swaddling them, and giving them a bottle in semi-darkness, then putitng them in their cots. Can I ask the sitter to do that?

Kelly, it's something I do when I babysit for families with a baby. I stick with whatever routine is already in place, children feel far more secure that way. Dab hand at bottle feeding in darkness!

Good luck in whatever you decide... hope you find a suitable babysitter soon.

Kelly1978 Thu 07-Jul-05 10:44:14

I've book marked your website, I'm a bit far from you, but hoping to move towards that way eventually. I couldn't just go for someeone who advertised, or place an ad, as I would have no idea of their background. I prefered the agency as they have been prechecked for me. Hopefully eventually I can find soemone thru recomendation. Someone experienced with twins would really put my mind at rest.
Anyway, i called the agency, and I've got my fav sitter booked for this sat. She is lovely, very confident and friendly. I don't see any problems askign ehr to stick to my routine. If it all goes well I'm just going to have to book well in advance so I can stick with her. The twins have been going to bed before 7.30 and staying asleep for a week now, so hopefully she wont even see them! Though I am tempted to ask her to do the dream feed for me.

Kelly1978 Sun 10-Jul-05 10:41:20

We got out last night in the end. FREEDOM!! Babies were fine. I asked the sitter to give them bottles at 10pm and other than that they didn't stir. Was so strange leaving them, but so nice that can get away for a few hours.

bambi06 Sun 10-Jul-05 10:59:23

i`m in beckenham near crystal palace, and i know croydon[where abouts in croydon?] so if you ever need a babysitter or occasional time off during the day you can call me ..i`m a sahm mom who`s been doing some chilminding as well as i`m a trained N.N.E.B with 20 yrs experience with all ages plus i worked for a night nannies agency with newborn babies helping moms get a night sleep /sleep /feeding routine etc so i`m fully qualified , CAT me if you need any other info.chat or time off!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now