Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

language courses for au pairs in SE London

(4 Posts)
MrsWobble Mon 04-Jul-05 11:11:39

Does anyone have any experience of these? I have a new nanny/au pair starting this summer who would like to improve her English. She is from an EU country which I hoped might give her free tuition (or at least significantly reduced rates). It's my first experience of a non native English speaker and I don't really know where to start. I've phoned a couple of places but they would classify her as an international student and charge £000s for a course which she won't be able to afford and I don't want to pay either. Any helpful suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks

Ameriscot2005 Mon 04-Jul-05 16:49:36

Not directly helpful to you, but here in Surrey, language classes are run by the county's Adult Education Dept., sometimes directly and sometimes via Sixth Form Colleges - basically the places where you would think of looking for a "night school" class.

These classes are free to EU citizens with no, basic or moderate English skills, but may cost something like £300 for good speakers or non-Eu citizens. These are not the Cambridge courses which charge regardless.

My first au pair had 9 hours of classes per week totally free; my current au pair is going to summer school which is 9 hours x 4 weeks, again free.

MrsWobble Mon 04-Jul-05 18:17:00

thank you - at least that gives me something to start with.

MissChief Mon 04-Jul-05 18:23:45

She shouldn't be classed as an international student if she's from the EU, certainly not by an FE college anyway. Have you tried Lewisham College - they have tons of EFL classes, also Greenwich Community College, Southwark - various ones around. All have websites if you have a look on the internet. Could also search on hotcourses.com or similar.
HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now