Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Are these wrong reasons for doing childminding ???

(12 Posts)
nutcracker Wed 29-Jun-05 17:57:28

Am considering going back to childminding. I did it for about 18mths about 5 years ago and would be lying quite frankly if i said I enjoyed it.

Anyway, it is the only job that I can think of that would fit in with everything else in my life. I am going back to college one day a week from sept and so would have 4 days a week and all holidays free to mind and could also do before school every day and after school 4 days.

I was very unorganised when i did it before, and found it a chore.

Dunno wether doing it again would be a good idea or not.

hana Wed 29-Jun-05 18:01:26

I wouldn't
you'd see it as a chore and not something you enjoyed, you'd just be putting in the time and watching the clock all day until they left!
I became registered, took ages and once it was done I realized I wasn't going to like it much - looking after a friend's little one everynoe and then was ok, but I wouldn't have liked the wholeday scenario
prob resent the kids too that you were looking after?

hana Wed 29-Jun-05 18:02:25

hmm
what about before school drop offs and pickups only? would that be an option?

tiffini Wed 29-Jun-05 18:02:32

I think childminding is the kind of job you need to enjoy, before even considering it. Sorry.

nutcracker Wed 29-Jun-05 18:09:11

Could just do before and after yeah, but as it's maily a money prob i'm trying to solve then not sure that would work.

If I did it then I would do it properly and be nice to the kids etc. I didn't mean i'd register, get as many as poss and then dump them infront of the tv.

hana Wed 29-Jun-05 18:17:39

be nice to the kids.....

lol!!!!!

nutcracker Wed 29-Jun-05 18:27:20

Oh forget it

starlover Wed 29-Jun-05 18:31:55

hmm, i think if you didn't enjoy it before then you probably wouldn't now...

do you THINK you would feel different about it now?

Would there be any initial outlay for you with registering etc? if not then you could do it, and if you really didn't like it then you could give up...

trefusis Wed 29-Jun-05 18:36:48

Message withdrawn

ThePrisoner Wed 29-Jun-05 21:24:12

I believe that if you want to childmind, you have to like spending time with children. Coping with the tantrums (including those from parents) and their demands all day, every day, is jolly hard work (as u know). I don't think it's fair to those parents, their children or to yourself.

I have occasional days when I feel tired or stressed, and although I may go through the motions, I KNOW that I'm not doing right by the children. I tell the parents that I've had a bit of an "off" day, and do a bit of a guilt trip about it, but the parents are always lovely and are still grateful that I want to go through it all the next day ... and the next ... and the next!! And yes, I really do enjoy my job!!!

goosey Wed 29-Jun-05 21:37:31

You do need to be organised and it is still a chore and a commitment but maybe not such a commitment if you decide to do short term hours catering for people who need a few hours every so often of childcare. eg new mums, gym junkies, people getting their roots done, neding respite care, having secret affairs etc I do this and it is sucessful and keeps everything fresh and intersting. Also it means I can say no sorry I'm fully booked on such and such a day if I need a breather or a week off to suit me. If it went well and you wanted to you could move to regular full timers from there. Just an idea for you. I bet there are loads of people stuck in low paid nusery jobs who are miserable. You would probably be fine if you took it slowly and didn't feel trapped but were more in control iyswim

ssd Thu 30-Jun-05 08:59:36

Mabe working part time would be the answer. Did you work full time before?

I'm a c/m and I work part time and it suits me (although not financially!!). Means I don't get sick of minding and my kids don't get fed up either. Also I'm fresh for my mindees, it's not fair on them to be hating it and only doing it for the money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now