Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I'm thrilled. Just found an amazing new nanny!

(7 Posts)
pinotgrigio Tue 28-Jun-05 11:40:53

I was at maximum stress organising a relocation between 2 countries in 2 weeks, when my nanny suddenly decided she didn't want to come with us back to Australia (her native country, so not as exciting).

Cue hyper-ventilating stress-related panic attack and doubt about inflicting a new country, home and nanny on DD. Anyway, after much soul searching I felt that a year living on Bondi beach would be a great opportunity for DD before she has to settle into school.

So, with 4 weeks before I had to be in Australia [cue more stress attacks and vastly increased wine consumption] I set about finding a nanny. Having been stung for £4,000 by the last nanny agency I didn't want to use one, so registered on greataupair.com. I managed to get a short list of several nannies already in Bondi, so knowing the area inside out and meaning I don't have to pay any airfares.

I've just finished interviewing and have found a 20 year old, with 4 years sole care toddler experience, who is arty, musical & sporty (played squash for under 19 Aus team), a non-drinker (which makes up for my pinot habit), who is studying for a law degree in her spare time, has a car & licence, current police safety check, already lives where I'm moving to, has safely dealt with an A&E emergency with a 2 year old, allocates a new theme to each week for the children and loves taking them swimming, to baby gym, to the beach, museums, and will move down to part time once I've found a 2 day nursery place for DD AND her references checked out. The mother said she was devastated when she left and that she was the best childcarer she'd ever had, with a natural affinity with children. She said she can be completely trusted, never has to have anything spelt out and is great at taking the initiative.

AND because it's Australia I don't have to pay ridiculous London wages.

I am so happy. How perfect does she sound?!

Now all I've got to do is stress about doing the flight on my own with a 2 year old.

mandyc66 Tue 28-Jun-05 14:05:41

Well she sounds like mary Poppins!!! Good luck hope it all works out well.

ssd Tue 28-Jun-05 14:12:44

She sounds fantastic!

pinotgrigio Tue 28-Jun-05 15:16:53

I know. I've probably cursed myself by posting this before she's accepted. Keep watching out for sad 'I lost her' post.

mandyc66 Wed 29-Jun-05 16:02:47

keep us up to date!

MarsLady Wed 29-Jun-05 16:10:13

got everything crossed for you

QueenOfQuotes Wed 29-Jun-05 16:12:58

She sounds fantastic - hope it all pans out for you and you 'get' her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now