Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder Club: Help re food

(54 Posts)
JELLYJELLY Mon 27-Jun-05 23:03:29

Ok ladies you lot are a helpful bunch. Just spoken to one of my new parents, she was shocked at my charges for food
25p breakfast
50p lunch
150 for dinner

she was unhappy that i gave a marmite brown sandwhich, fruit and vegetables, yoghurt for 50p on one of the lunches. She would like a cooked lunch for this amount. i have told her that i will not cook value or low meat content sausages/burgers etc which would easily come into this price bracket.

Can anyone else suggest what i could supply for this amount? and do you think that this is shocking for food.

I donot supply or cook eggs/nuts.

Thanks

JELLYJELLY Mon 27-Jun-05 23:04:42

I also provide things like seeds, dried fruit, fruit juice, ricecakes, crackers, fruit and veg, youghurts for snacks in my sessions fees.

soapbox Mon 27-Jun-05 23:12:58

I think baked beans on toast

1/2 Jacket potato with beans/cheese/coleslaw

Ham/cheese sandwiches

Pitta bread with various fillings

Cheese and ham toasties

Plenty of cucumber/carrot/celery sticks and tomatoes etc And fruit or yoghurt for dessert.

I would be happy with cold lunch if dinner was always cooked. Would not be happy with a marmite sandwich though or jam, has to be a proper filling (fussy aren't I)

ThePrisoner Mon 27-Jun-05 23:37:08

Despite the fact that my family and I eat healthily (most of the time) and I would be able to provide meals for mindees if I had the inclination to do so, I don't want to get into doing this as they can be an absolute minefield (little Johnny won't eat anything that might have come into contact with a cucumber, little Jane will only eat mush encased in breadcrumbs etc).

Therefore, I request that parents send food with their children. I can provide meals, but would charge an extortionate rate of £3.50 per meal (and parents know that this is to dissuade them from asking!!!)

Having said that, children sometimes arrive having had no breakfast (so I'll happily provide toast, fruit, yogurt, whatever) and occasionally forget to bring lunch (so I wouldn't make them starve), and I don't charge coz I'm soft!!

I supply afterchoolers with snacks/drinks at no extra charge, and will encourage littlies to try things that I eat too (roll on the pumpkin seeds!).

I know we are supposed to encourage ultra-healthy eating at all costs (I've been on courses!), but I don't want to preach to parents on what to feed their children. Parents sometimes ask what the other children might have for lunch, so I can push the fruit and yogurt angle.

Oops, getting on my soapbox again! I think that what u are charging is extremely reasonable. Some minders I know don't charge for meals or snacks, but then might charge higher hourly rates (not sure what your's are).

Blu Mon 27-Jun-05 23:41:57

I think it's unreasonable to want a cooked lunch for 50p! The lunch you describe is healthy, balanced and what children like - what's her problem? A yogurt costs about 30p!

You could offer home-made soup, (lentil etc), noodles with stir-fry, rice-based dishes, pasta dishes etc quite cheaply, I suppose?

Fran1 Mon 27-Jun-05 23:44:28

Can i ask why you inform parents how much the meals cost?

Is it not easier to have an overall session cost without breaking it down? I'spose if you're offering with/without then its obvious what your meal charges are!

Is marmite sandwich just one example of what you give? So long as theres variety i'd be happy with that and for that price. Things on toast and Jacket potatoes are good suggestions also to add variety.

But to answer your real question, 50p seems a very reasonable price to me! Far cheaper than cafe rouge

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-05 07:36:56

Well I think it's horrendously shocking - but then I don't charge the parents (it's in with my fee) - I charge the Tax man
Under 5s
75p BF
1.25 L
1.50 Dinner

5-10
1.00 BF
1.50 L
1.75 D

over 10
1.25 BF
1.75 L
2.00 D

So yours are SO cheap

lunches = Toad in the hole, cheese quiche, scampi, pizza (only convenience really), scrambled egg, Baked beans, various pasts, cheese & potatoe pie, hm soup
Dinner = roast, pasta, spag bol, sausage & mash, fish,meatloaf,cheese quiche

I think redo your pricing policy and ask a higher hourly rate that way you can "hide" the actual cost

btw I have tried mine on marmite - but I might

JELLYJELLY Tue 28-Jun-05 07:49:22

WELL ON this day i alsogave cheese but the kid didnt want it.Marmite is so good for them anyway.

I charge 325 per hour and that is about the going rate. i will discuss it further with her today and no it is what i would normally provide. My son is a really fussy eater so it has to be easy and quick to do.

Fran1 Tue 28-Jun-05 08:38:17

Marmite is good and bad. it contains a lot of salt.

You can still give your son marmite sandwiches everday just vary if for the mindees?

I really wouldn't want my dd eating the same food each day - imo that can cause fussy eating.

I would definitely try and 'hide' your prices.

HellyBelly Tue 28-Jun-05 09:10:19

Hi again JELLYJELLY

As you know, I charge £3.50 an hour and charge £1.50 per evening meal. I don't charge for snacks, lunch, breakfast but instead have a higher hourly rate (going rate in our area, I know yours is different).

I think your prices are extremely reasonable and as we both know, you just get parents who 'try it on' don't you!!! How can 25p for a breakfast be too much when as Blu said, a yoghurt costs around 30p!!! I know minders in my area who charge £3 for an evening meal and we're not that far away from each other that the food prices are different!

As for marmite, I love it and would happily pop round for a sandwich at yours . I was weened on marmite toast and still each it every day for breakfast - don't get bored. Having said that, kids do tend to so I agree it's best to vary fillings for mindees. And yes, it's full of salt.

As for snacks, I agree lots of carrot sticks, ricecakes, fruit, cheese etc. are all good. You don't need to worry about your choice of healthy snacks as you have loads!! Tasted my first raddish at yours!

Anyway, must go and make myself some marmite toast - hungry and running late (hangover!! )

feelingold Tue 28-Jun-05 10:07:18

I too think your prices are very reasonable (similar to mine).
I do not provide 'hot' meals as lunchtime but I do at teatime. Lunch is sandwich, pitta, crackers etc, followed by yog, fruit, veg etc. None of my mindees parents have a problem with this as it's just the kind of thing they get at home.

SoftFroggie Tue 28-Jun-05 11:03:29

Given that your prices are so reasonable, I wonder if there's a misunderstanding here? Even when you're clear, people can get confused by what they expect.
maybe she didn't realise you give a cooked tea?
maybe she heard '50p for marmite sandwich' and didn't hear about the fruit, veg & yog?
maybe she didn't realise that her DS had been offered and refused cheese? personally I don't consider marmite a great lunch filling (no protein) but if you'd offered cheese, you can't make him eat it!

soapbox Tue 28-Jun-05 11:09:40

I would definately not want my child to have marmite sandwiches every day and would expect a good variety of foods to be offered. As others have said Marmite is loaded with salt and I would be very worried for their long term health if they had it every day. Once every couple of weeks might be acceptable though.

I think though that your prices are very reasonable.

I've never used a childminder but always had a nanny so my perspective may be different in that I have always been able to direct what nanny feeds them on. I think if I used a childminder I would expect a little less control but would still expect to be able to have some input to the discussion!

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 11:14:55

ask her to suggest what she would like her child to have and to either
a) provide it each day in tupperware and you will re-heat / serve

or

b) cost it out and add extra for cooking

she'll soon change her tune

emily05 Tue 28-Jun-05 11:17:58

jellyjelly - tell her to try cooking a cooked meal for 50p!!!

My nursery charge double that. silly woman doesnt know when she has it good!
Just tell her polietly "these are my charges"
Blimey, can I come to yours for lunch - your food sounds lovely!

JELLYJELLY Tue 28-Jun-05 13:52:33

Ok, i didnt relise that it had lots of salt in it, ok point taken. (has lots of good b vits)I dont offer this alot but this was the choice on that day.

I will change my prices when i next review the contracts. I know that i am cheaper than alot of you on here but as there are over 70minders in my small area alone I cant charge 350 which i would like to.

Cna any of you suggest what i could feed in sandwhiches, i do think that i am offering a varied diet but please feel free to suggest something but not eggs or nuts.

thanks

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 14:03:08

tuna mayo
egg mayo
ham
cucumber
hummous and grated carrot

HellyBelly Tue 28-Jun-05 14:30:44

Chicken mayo too.

Never tried hummous - what's it like?

JELLYJELLY Tue 28-Jun-05 14:33:34

i will make it for you next time ou both are around.

garlicky, beany dip lovely.

alison222 Thu 30-Jun-05 13:36:37

mayo has agg in it - if that is an issue? and not just whole eggs.

try other dips and spreads eg mushroom pate (my fav),
home made vege soup and bread,
Tuna,
vary the cheeses,
Salads
Grow beansprouts and get the children to try with their sandwiches
BTW hummus has sesame in it which is a common allegy similar to nut allergy
Just wondering why no egg and nuts?

lunavix Thu 30-Jun-05 13:41:00

I charge 75p a meal. My mindees have all three meals, but the mum wanted it included in the hourly rate, so it's 20p more an hour (works out slightly less but I don't mind!) I think it's good value personally.

They get a choice of breakfast (cereals, toast, french bread, fruit - like melon etc - pastries etc) though I make the choice as they are only 22 months! tbh it's mostly cereal but I try to vary it with other things.

Lunch is always a bready type thing (rolls, croissants or sandwiches) with a variety of fillings (sadly they seem just to like jam while ds hates jam and likes hommous and things!) with fruit, sometimes organic crisps, muffins, things like that.

Dinner is a hot home cooked meal. Sausage casserole, pasta, cottage pie, fruity curry etc. A lot of meals come with accompaniements (poppadums? garlic bread?) but it's what we'd eat if they weren't there.

There's also usually a few snacks a day. Either a biscuit, or a humzinger, or some raisins etc.

JELLYJELLY Thu 30-Jun-05 13:49:18

Hi Alison,

my son is allergic to eggs and nuts so i dont give eggs or nuts to any child nor do i allow it to come into the house.

JELLYJELLY Thu 30-Jun-05 13:50:10

ps i also sont put sesame in houmous, i make it without

Crazymama Sun 10-Jul-05 22:00:43

As a parent, I think that charging extra for meals seems 'fussy' (for lack of a better word) and it must be another thing for you to keep track of to enable you to charge the parents correctly.

I do of course expect you to charge for food, but think it's better that this is incorporated in the hourly rate. This would avoid parents picking on the individual prices for your meals (which seem reasonable by the way).

alison222 Mon 11-Jul-05 20:04:35

Jelly can you give me the recipe for humus without tahini then as by DS is allergic to sesame.
Just seen this as I missed your last post here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now