Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

can you earn as a childminder while getting maternity pay?

(14 Posts)
kelli22 Mon 27-Jun-05 13:08:33

Does anyone know if you can, i'm just a bit worried as i plan to start childminding in nov/ dec but my mat pay doesn't finish til end of feb, but i know that i will need some income whhile i'm just starting out, so can i do that or not?

I've already asked tax credits if i can get help while i'm in the first year of childminding but they said taht my partner earns too much for me to be able to get any extra (i get £10 a wk now) well i don't physically get anything as they said they over paid me so i havent had any money for 2 years....(what a waste of space they are hey)

sorry to moan, kinda all just came out - sorry

Thanks girls

ssd Mon 27-Jun-05 15:55:21

kelli, I agree they are rubbish!

Don't see why you can't work as a childminder, if it helps.

ssd Mon 27-Jun-05 15:58:34

hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon!

sweetheart Mon 27-Jun-05 16:07:24

If you will be paying tax and NI to the Inland revenue this will effect your mat pay

hatstand Mon 27-Jun-05 16:10:05

fairly sure you can't simultaneously earn and claim maternity pay. I know it's been an issue where I work, with people wanting people on mat leave to do the odd bit of consultancy type work - and I know it throws our accounts and HR people totally

kelli22 Mon 27-Jun-05 16:27:25

i've been searching for an answer to this all day but no luck to finding the answer so far, i think i will have to get in touch with the job centre or dss to find out, i think there should be a limit to how much you can earn before they stop paying you mat pay. we'll see i'll keep you posted in case i find a solution, in the mean time if anyone knows the answer please put me out of my misery cheers girls

goldenoldie Mon 27-Jun-05 19:36:54

My company policy clearly states that no paid work is allowed while receiving maternity pay or thay can ask you to pay it back.

Check your company policy or with your HR dept.

Xena Mon 27-Jun-05 19:38:27

Unfortunatly Kelli you lose your mat pay. I think the exact wording is it stops the week before you begin any work in which you expect to be paid (so that covers if your mindees parents defer payment or don't pay you)

lunavix Mon 27-Jun-05 19:39:45

Kelli if you don't have any minded children you won't be working so still get mat pay. If you start minding, you lose it.

It can take a while to get children...

Twiglett Mon 27-Jun-05 19:40:25

No you can't

maternity allowance is a benefit for you not working to take care of your child

as soon as you start paid work then you are not eligible for the benefit

the mat. benefit is paid by govt. not by your company .. although it comes through company payroll (unless of course you get over and above the statutory allowance)

actually are you talking about child benefit .. that is different to maternity allowance .. or was that a typo did you mean £100 or so a wk
HTH

kelli22 Mon 27-Jun-05 19:50:46

hi girls thanks for your replies,

i guess i'll have to wait to start minding then, which is a bit gutting as i wanted to start slowly and build up but i can't afford to give up my mat pay so i'll have to wait til it ends, at least i can spend more one on one time with my dd and baby before i start working, it gives me more time to plan and prepare as well. i can build up children to start with me as theres nothing to stop me advertising as long as i don't actually mind any children while i'm receiving mat pay.

i'll have a better idea of what i can handle once the baby is settled into a routine as well i guess.

Crazymama Mon 27-Jun-05 20:50:39

Is it maternity pay or maternity allowance.

You are not entitled to maternity pay for any weeks that you work, but my understanding is that this is doing work for the same employer who pays your maternity pay and does not relate to a seperate employment/ self employment. Will the company who pays you maternity pay know you are childminding? If not I would not worry about it.

You could delay 'billing' your parents for childminding from when you start minding to when your maternity pay stops.

JulieF Mon 27-Jun-05 23:49:01

The only time you can work and claim maternity pay is if you already have two jobs at the start of your leave and you return to work at one of them. You can claim your SMP in one (not sure if it pro rata or not) and work at the other but you can't start a new job or self employment and still claim it.

Sorry

ThePrisoner Mon 27-Jun-05 23:54:38

There's nothing to stop u getting the ball rolling to get registered, and then u would be ready to start childminding whenever u want to. I assume that as long as u aren't earning money, then u would be OK.

Your first enquiry could be from someone who doesn't need a minder until well after your mat pay finishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now