Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder and carseat safety

(20 Posts)
linabolton Fri 24-Jun-05 13:12:22

My 1 year old (9kg) will be starting at a childminder in a fortnight, when I return back to work. However, I have since found out that her carseat provisions are inadequate(buckle crunch, twisted seatbelt, carseat on rug and no 5-point harness - just the seatbelt to strap child in). when I told her of my concerns, she seemed uninterested. What should I do? I have phoned around for other childcare arrangements but all are full at this short notice

HellyBelly Fri 24-Jun-05 13:14:50

I am a childminder myself and can't believe what I hear about others sometimes. Safety should be top priority and well, I just don't know what else to say. It's a shame there is no one else you could choose.

Sorry I can't help but I completely understand your concerns.

essbee Fri 24-Jun-05 13:16:09

Message withdrawn

gigglinggoblin Fri 24-Jun-05 13:16:42

make an anon call to ofsted (or whoever watches childminders) so she gets a visit and is more clued up (not to get her in trouble, just to get her to sort it) no way would i allow my child to travel in a car unsafelt and she ought to know better

ThePrisoner Fri 24-Jun-05 13:17:22

I usually supply all the required car seats myself - but perhaps you could leave your car seat with her? I would be seriously worried about her apparent "disinterest" in your concerns, as child safety is of paramount importance. If it is unimportant to her, what else might she think is unimportant???

HellyBelly Fri 24-Jun-05 13:21:01

That's a good idea. I needed car seats for childminding and my mum offered me her old spare one. I said no offence but I'm buying new as I can't take the risk!

essbee Fri 24-Jun-05 13:22:20

Message withdrawn

JELLYJELLY Fri 24-Jun-05 13:23:50

I am so shocked by this. (Childminder myself) I would give Ofsted a call and discuss your fears with them and they will schedule an appointment for an assessment even if she is not due a check yet.

Have you gone on childcare link to see how many minders have immediate vacancies?.

Out of interest where are you?

alibubbles Fri 24-Jun-05 13:33:46

Message withdrawn

ThePrisoner Fri 24-Jun-05 13:39:00

Each individual child doesn't have to have their own personal car seat (ie. not just for that one child), just one appropriate to their size, weight etc. and, as alibb says, properly fitted.

feelingold Fri 24-Jun-05 13:39:13

I am a childminder too and I would never never take one of my mindees in a car without an appropriate seat/booster etc, not because OFSTED say I should but because I would not take my own children in a car without them.(I am continually changing carseats around in my car depending on who I am minding that day or taking them out when picking up friends and it is a pain in the bum, but it is necessary and so I just have to get on with it at 7am in the morning in the rain!).
I think this is totally unacceptable and as she is unwilling to discuss and understand about such an important issue I agree that you should contact OFSTED and tell them of your concerns cos she may already be transporting children in an unsafe manner.
I hope you can find and alternative form of childcare soon.

JELLYJELLY Fri 24-Jun-05 13:42:50

Have you spoken to your employer to check if it would be possible to extend your leave for a week, so you could find a better carer?.

I just think what would happen if you didnt tell Ofsted?.

kcemum Fri 24-Jun-05 14:33:24

As a childminder myself I find it unbeleivable that she should have such an attitude to something as fundamental as car safety. It makes you wonder what other safety issues she will have?

Personally as a mum and a childminder I would try and steer clear.

HellyBelly Fri 24-Jun-05 14:37:42

I know it makes it hard work wise but I have to agree with Kcemum.

linabolton Fri 24-Jun-05 23:37:31

Thanks for all the comments. I have spoken to the childminder again and although she'll be happy to use our carseat, we are just not sure that it would be fitted properly. Also, she just did not seem to understand my concerns. I felt that I was being fobbed off all the time. She tried to reassure me that OFSTED had checked her carseat (BS standard and not involved in accident, etc). However, all UK carseats are BS standard but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good carseat or fitted properly. The childminder didn't know about buckle crunch, etc. After running around, I have managed to secure my little one at a local nursery.

ThePrisoner Sat 25-Jun-05 00:05:40

OFSTED wouldn't normally "check" a car seat personally; they may ask where u got them from (and won't be at all happy if they are from a car boot sale/secondhand with no known history). Shame u weren't able to find another childminder, but agree with others that u should voice your concern to OFSTED.

essbee Sat 25-Jun-05 00:10:31

Message withdrawn

mum2oliver Mon 27-Jun-05 21:33:38

sorry but what is buckle crunch?

blodwen Mon 27-Jun-05 21:59:09

It's when the seat belt buckle rests on a 'hard bit' of the child seat frame. Apparently the buckle can then shatter on impact, and would obviously come undone.

mum2oliver Tue 28-Jun-05 20:52:33

Thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now