Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders Club : I've been a right mug............

(6 Posts)
ssd Fri 24-Jun-05 08:06:37

I've just realised I've agreed to too many requests from parents for things that benefit them but not me, eg. keeping a space during the summer hols with no retainer (done this twice!) and getting no payment for childs sickness or abscence although I'm available to work as parent didn't want a contract....now I'll get hardly any pay during school hols and the next school year.

I've been trying to be nice to everyone and forgetting about me and the fact I need the money...what an idiot.

HellyBelly Fri 24-Jun-05 08:24:49

Don't be so hard on yourself - so easily done!!

Have they got contracts? If not, then you can always back out, if they have, you could still give them notice if you want.

Just a thought.

kcemum Fri 24-Jun-05 09:12:09

Agree with HellyBelly, it is easily done but we all learn from our mistakes
I was in a simular situation last year, I had just signed up a couple of schoolies before the 6 weeks hols and didn't charge a retainer until they started with me, so I had no money at all - won't do that again in a hurry.

Explain to the mindees parents about payments for sickness etc as you can be pretty sure that they would get sickpay any way and how a contract would protect them as well as you.

alibubbles Fri 24-Jun-05 09:53:29

Message withdrawn

ssd Fri 24-Jun-05 10:29:40

I thought I was getting my act together after a shaky start, but I'm still learning!

feelingold Fri 24-Jun-05 11:50:25

Most childminders I know have done similar things and I think probably this is the only way you learn.
However I never take a mindee on without a contract ( I thought OFSTED took a dim view of not having a contract with parents to be honest), but having said that I still find myself being too lenient when it comes to charging for everything I should. I find it difficult to ask parents for money but it's our living and you just have to do it. My opinion FWIW is always have a contract, include everything you can think of in it and have a review every 6 months in case you missed anything.
Good luck and be strong!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now