Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

want to become a childminder any tips

(17 Posts)
starshaker Thu 23-Jun-05 08:52:52

hi have decided i want to make some extra money but as have a 9wk old dd and dont want to leave her thought this would be a good option. im a qualified nanny and cant really do that anymore with my own baby.

so what im asking is what do i need to do to register

Fran1 Thu 23-Jun-05 08:55:09

Ring your local childcare information service and they'll tell you all you need to know!

Normally you have to attend a short course on childminding, and then get registered by Ofsted.

HellyBelly Thu 23-Jun-05 09:11:24

That's right. You should be invited to a briefing first and then go on a Pre-Registration course. During this you will get the application pack which will go off to Ofsted. Ofsted will inspect your home. In the pack you will get a medical report that your Dr has to complete. You will need to provide details of 2 people for references in the application. The registration process is usually 12 weeks from Ofsted receiving the application form. You will also need to contact the Criminal Records Bureau to request disclosures for you and any other adults who live with you. You will also need to attend a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid course within 6 months of being registered.

I think that roughly covers it - sorry in a bit of a rush this morning!

Good luck!

ssd Thu 23-Jun-05 10:46:47

Are you in Scotland or England? In Scotland contact the Care Commission.

feelingold Thu 23-Jun-05 12:56:43

I love being a childminder and luckily I look after 3 brilliant kids but I do know of lots of childminders in different parts of the country who are struggling to find mindees so I would do a little bit of research to see if there is a demand before you go ahead. In my area childminders are registering and ending up having to find a 'proper' job cos they haven't even had 1 phone call.

Good luck and hopefully there will be lots of demand where you live.

KatyMac Thu 23-Jun-05 14:43:33

Remember Satrshaker it is a business and look at it all professionally

KatyMac Thu 23-Jun-05 14:46:38

Whoops I posted before I'd finished or previewed.

You can't always take time off when you want (eg Today - as it's too hot to work)

Children are often lovely and the parents a pain
Parents are often lovely and the chilren are a pain
And occasionally they are both lovely (keep those) and throw the ones where both are a pain away

Thnik carefully about why you are doing it - you might need to amend your intentions, I've grown too fast and regret it

HellyBelly Thu 23-Jun-05 15:08:11

Feelingold has a very good point there! Where I live there are less than 10 registered childminders which is why I've had several calls already. My friend however lives in another part of the same town and she has around 70 minders in her area. She's been struggling with the competition.

I recommend you go on the childcare link website and do a search by your postcode. You can get a list of the childminders in your area however this won't include those who wished not to be displayed on the internet. For these details you'd need to phone your local childrens info service. You could even ask them on the phone if there is a shortage etc. of childminders in your area.

Hope that helps, good luck whatever you decide!

Helen

JELLYJELLY Thu 23-Jun-05 16:57:58

I thought my ears were burning!.

Glad to hear you are all signed with the parents now, well done.

lemonice Thu 23-Jun-05 17:26:14

This is a bit of idle curiosity as childminding is something that is vaguely on my list of possible ideas when we move elsewhere, but dp was concerned about insurance/negligence aspect of childcare. Is that very expensive? And are parents very litigious?

HellyBelly Thu 23-Jun-05 17:54:36

Cheers JellyJelly, will email later

Lemonice - just a quickie as making ds's din dins! You have to have Public Liability Insurance which is renewed each year. This covers you for accidents etc. Mine is through the NCMA (national childminding association). I paid £110 but this was for the full pack including contracts, books for accounts, accidents, attendance etc etc. Really great pack and it came out of the grant anyway!

I could go on but must finish dinner (don't feel like it in this heat!)

KatyMac Thu 23-Jun-05 17:56:01

You can get public Liability Ins from NCMA or from other Companies

My NCMA costs about £50 a year (incleuding my NCMA mmbership) - I think

Not sure what it covers - but if you overmind or are negligent it does not cover that or smacking

Bonkerz Thu 23-Jun-05 18:04:43

I didnt go to a pre registration meeting, i just rang OFSTED who put me in touch with the right people at Child Info Service. I had a link officer come out and she did a intitial inspection and helped me do forms then took my forms and a copy of my CRB form and qualifications and took them to OFSTED for me. My OFSTED inspection was 7 days later and i had my certificate within 3 days!! I get my insurance from morton michel and it costs £32 per year and covers me for up to 5 million pounds!
I now mind for 3 girls under 3 and love my job!

HellyBelly Thu 23-Jun-05 18:13:48

Bonkerz - would love to know what part of the country you are in and when you became registered!!! You're very lucky that it all went through that quick!

Bonkerz Thu 23-Jun-05 18:17:28

Im in leicestershire and registered in August last year. I was a nursery manager before so had my CRB check already and DH had his done as well so that saved some time. Ofsted already had a health check on me as i had to have one done to become a manager at the nursery and i had all my forms done (cos i used the nursery forms). From the day OFSTED recieved my forms it took 10 days to get my cert! Because i was already qulaified i did the ICP course in Oct last year and have only just done my first aid. It can be done alot quicker if you contact them alot! I rang every day and knew exactly what was happening!

HellyBelly Thu 23-Jun-05 18:28:38

My god, how quick!!! I can see why though as the CRB takes quite a while so if you had stuff already and they didn't require you to have these re-done, this would make a huge difference.

I rang every other day but it still took ages!

Well done for getting it so quick

littlerach Thu 23-Jun-05 19:10:54

I have been looking into this, it is definitely worth seeing if there is a need in your area. I live between two towns , one is overrun with cms, the other has a lot but room for more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: