Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

interview

(9 Posts)
annabelle21 Mon 20-Jun-05 20:23:30

I went for the interview and the mum told me it was not sole charge, although I could take her out in school hols and basically my job would be helping her get her dd ready for school in morning, both of us walking dd to school, then both of us doing housework til dd returns, then as the mum suffers from an illness (didnt say what) she would be having a nap when dd gets back from school and in that time I will be watching her with help of dad and giving her bath and putting to bed. Around 35 hrs per week for 170 pounds.

I really liked this woman and got offered the job starting tomorrow!
But my mum says all they want is a skivvy, not a childcarer and shes practically begging me not to go, so I really dunno what to do.

blodwen Mon 20-Jun-05 20:26:11

Why not try it for a month?

tamula Mon 20-Jun-05 20:32:47

How old are you, do you have experience, are you in London? All these are deciding factors on as to how much you would be paid and whether you should qualify as a mothers help or a nanny etc...

I suggest if you are a young thang 18-25 with no experience, then why not notch it up as experience if for nothing else but to move on to something better if you do end up feeling over-worked and under-paid!

Ameriscot2005 Mon 20-Jun-05 20:34:47

Agree with Blodwen that you could try it.

The job sounds much like an au pair job, but for a fair bit more money. I'm sure that, with time, they would give you more and more sole charge as their confidence in you grew.

As for housework - we are a very messy family (5 kids) in a large house and the au pair does no more than 1 hour cleaning per day.

annabelle21 Mon 20-Jun-05 20:46:55

I am 21 years old, I have 5 yrs sole-charge experience and live in north-west england.

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 20:50:21

It sounds OK annabelle why not (as already suggested) give it a go?

tamula Mon 20-Jun-05 22:36:22

annabelle21, perhaps you could check with local or national nanny agencies what the going rate is? Having 5 years sole charge experience is pretty good going.

I feel personally that you would be taking a step backwards for taking a shared care position, but if you have a good feeling about the family or if there's a shortage of jobs at the mo' why not do it until something better comes along?

nannynick Tue 21-Jun-05 10:51:58

Annabelle, was the mother after an au-pair or a nanny (I'm confused). There seems to be very little in terms of childcare, so hardly the sort of job a nanny would do... so more an au-pair type role.
Is 170 for live-in, or would you be going on a daily basis?

Personally I avoid these sorts of jobs... I prefer it when the children are generally younger and you are employed to care for the children, rather than do the housework.

annabelle21 Tue 21-Jun-05 14:30:53

Hi nanny nick, she said it is a live in basically when it suits her and her daughter, and otherwise I have to go home (which is about 8 miles away)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now