Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do you think about 'Sunflower Childminding Services'?

(51 Posts)
Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 11:48:08

As you guessed I'm a childminder, we wanted to call ourselfs something as I'm expanding shortly.
I came up with 'Happy Days' but no one liked it.
DS (7) said what about 'Daffodil CMS' and then suggested 'Sunflower'
DS (3) Wants it to be called Sweetie childminding!! (I didn't think it gave the right empression )

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 11:50:40

That sould be 'ourselves' not 'ourselfs' I'm correcting myself as my sister who posts here is always telling me I can't spell and my grammer is terrible.
Why can't there be a spell checker?

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 11:52:12

arghhh she just MSN'ed me to tell me that I had made a mistake. DS (3) is not DS she is a DD!!!

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 18:46:11

Come on. Is it
a. naff
b. O.K.
c. Friendly sounding???

KatyMac Mon 20-Jun-05 18:46:41

Calm down Xena - have you made any decisions yet?

KatyMac Mon 20-Jun-05 18:48:03

I didn't see your last post before I posted.....I kind of like it I'm not so sure abut the services bit _ but I am known as a PIA

nailpolish Mon 20-Jun-05 18:49:17

i think it sounds fine. whats wrong with it?

go for it

nailpolish Mon 20-Jun-05 18:50:30

better than fine actually, very friendly sounding

Twiglett Mon 20-Jun-05 18:53:53

don't think childminders should have business sounding names tbh because it actually contradicts the whole concept of childminding .. a home from home, personal care, one person acting in loco parentis

if people wanted the big business feel then they would go for a nursery where there is more bureaucracy / officialdom

I like childminding@walnutcorner a la katiemac because that's what she does and where she does it but I really think you are driving yourself mad for a name for no reason

I would strongly suggest not having a name if you are a childminding service .. it doesn't do you any favours from a branding perspective

(I say this as an ex-Marketing Director and an ex-Childminder btw and mean absolutely no offence)

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 19:16:36

Twiglet no offense taken at all I think you are right about it sounding formal.
We want to offer the benifits a nursery i.e. more people so 'shared' responsbilty (i.e. those parents who are nervous about leaving thier child with a lone person)
With the benefits of home from home childminding
I want to stand out from the other childminders, alot of others locally have a bad reputation, we are in the area where the stories of bad childcare has been reported in the local and nationally press.

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 19:19:02

Whats a PIA KM?
Ofsted came today and gave me the green light. I am sticking to the before and after sch crowd atm as there is a high demand for it. Re my sisters 2. I don't think I am going to go there I had a bab experience with her before, and I took on board the whole being more professional with that and re the employee.

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 19:21:41

We are also offering a 'play club' service in the summer which is different to childminding and it is at a greatly reduced rate. So we wanted to call it something
If we were to go with sunflower it could then be called Sunflower play club IYSWIM

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 19:25:09

Another bit of wanting a name is that I feel that particular parents of the mindees don't take my job seriously enough so I would like to sound more like a company IYSWIM??

tamum Mon 20-Jun-05 19:28:26

To be honest I don't think it sounds "cosy" enough. If it was called something like Sunflower Before and After School Club that might be better. It's a bit clumsy but sounds more homely and reflects what you are offering. Or Out of School Club, maybe, to cover the holiday scheme? My children, if they are going to some kind of playscheme in the holidays, like it to have a name they can relate to, and I don't think the Childminding Services bit would appeal to children themselves.

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 19:42:25

Twiglett have I offended you by going to much your advise as Marketing Director and an c/m is v.much appreciated?

Twiglett Mon 20-Jun-05 19:44:19

that's totally different then I can see why you want a 'business name'

Sunflower, I suppose could have connotations of growth and sunlight and happy smiling kiddies .. it really depends on how you do your logo (if you're going to have one) .. maybe a simple line drawing would give it a certain umph

sorry don't really know your business well enough to give 'real' advice

Twiglett Mon 20-Jun-05 19:44:50

x-post (sorry was dealing with a child who doesn't want to be put to bed )

Twiglett Mon 20-Jun-05 19:46:43

do you just do out of school hours (are all kids over 5 then?) do you do fulltime during school holidays

KatyMac Mon 20-Jun-05 19:50:09

Xena - PIA = Pain in the A.....

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 19:57:01

KM
Twiglett atm I only do over 5's, although i'm registered for u5's as well (I've got my own little one and its nice having time with her) Yes I do hols as well although I fill spaces of teachers children by doing a 'play club'. When I increase we will be sticking mainly to B4 and after schoolers but we may do <5's to fill the gap with parents who want siblings together (i.e the baby all day and the 5yo b4 and after school they still get to 'be' together eat tea together etc)

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 19:59:15

Also I wanted the words childminding somewhere in the name to show that i'm not a nursery. What about just using the initials of Childminding services
So being 'Sunflower CS'

KatyMac Mon 20-Jun-05 20:42:47

Sunflowers is nice - but I'm still unsure about the CS bit

I maybe wrong....but it doesn't seem "right" somehow

KatyMac Mon 20-Jun-05 21:00:30

I don't mean to be negative btw

Are you only going to do out of school?

Maybe look at something OOSC

Sunflower Club?

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 21:30:53

No I understand thats kind of why i'm asking. Its abit urgent as I need to get the advert in for the school newsletter by 12 tomorrow. Maybe I will advertise like this

Sunflower Play Club
Ofsted Registered chilminder is running a Summer Play Club. Places avaliable for children 5-11 years.
For information See ....... or call ........

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 21:31:55

What is OOCS? Btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now