Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

8 small kids and 1 childminder on school run?

(13 Posts)
sandyballs Tue 10-Nov-09 21:09:15

I was surprised to see this today, the kids are aged between 2 and 8 but it seems such a lot for one person, is it allowed?

argento Tue 10-Nov-09 21:11:42

Probably allowed 6 under 8 and 2 over 8.

Numberfour Tue 10-Nov-09 21:19:58

a CM can have not more than 6 under the age of 8 and of those not more than 3 under the age of 5 and of those not more than one under 1. there may be a variation of numbers but as far as I know it is never for more than 6 children under the age of 8. of course a CM can have a number of children over the age of 8 (and that is from 8 yrs and one day old) as long as it does not detract from the care he or she is giving to the other children.

i think grin

xoxcherylxox Tue 10-Nov-09 21:24:42

maybe 2 were 8years of age, 3 under school age then a 4year old and 2 5 years olds she would still be within her numbers as still only 6 kids of which only 3 under school age.

sandyballs Tue 10-Nov-09 21:25:37

1 of them was year 4, 1 year 3, 1 in reception and the other 5 were 2-4 year olds.

argento Tue 10-Nov-09 21:28:23

There should only be 3 under 5, so she probably is over her numbers.

frakkinaround Tue 10-Nov-09 21:30:48

Maybe she usually works with an assistant?

But probably over numbers.

xoxcherylxox Tue 10-Nov-09 21:33:47

could the 4 year olds mayb not be at school and be classed as 5. maybe it was a one off. if you see her 2morro see how many children she has. was she walking could it be that some children walking home themselfs and live in the same direction were just tagging along and talking to some of her minded children while they walked

sandyballs Tue 10-Nov-09 21:44:15

No, the younger ones were def nursery age and under, only the elder 3 at school.

Def all 8 kids were with her. Just curious about this really, not intending to do anything about it as they all seemed happy and organised, but just seemed an awful lot for one person, i wouldn't fancy it!

nannynick Tue 10-Nov-09 21:45:16

Oldest two could be 8+, given Year 3 and Year 4. The 5 under 5's is more questionable.
If you know where the CM lives, then you could try looking up their registration, to see what that says.

nannynick Tue 10-Nov-09 21:47:13

Maybe they usually had an assistant, who didn't turn up. Maybe they one of the younger children's parents were meant to meet them at the school... but didn't turn up. That sort of thing can happen.

CarGirl Tue 10-Nov-09 21:49:41

All I can say is respect to that cm if all was calm and organised - assuming that this was all above board/a one off emergency situation if she were over numbers!

pippin26 Wed 11-Nov-09 08:12:58

My youngest son looks like he should still be in nursery he is that tiny, he is 4 and in full time school - therefore for ratio purposes he can be classed as a rising 5. One of my mindees is a rising 5 and even tinier than my son. I am just making a point that the children can appear a lot younger, if people know the children are only 4 as well that sometimes leads to some explanation.

There are many reasons why this minder may appear over her numbers - she may have a variation in place (for continuity reasons for example), it may have been an emergency situation - ie helping out another minder. without seeing her certificate or knowing the circumstances then no one can say for sure.
Can you approach this minder and ask?
If you are geninuely concerned then you could contact Ofsted - if she has done nothing wrong they can determine this quickly.

children over the age of 8 aren't classed in her numbers as such - most minders in accordance with their insurance can have upto 12 children in their care at any one time - normally no more than 6 under 8's within the ratios stated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now