Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ds1 has chicken pox, can ds2 (no symptoms) still go to CMs?

(9 Posts)
saadia Sun 08-Nov-09 12:20:40

Not sure what to do, ds1 will be home all week with chicken pox but ds2 seems fine. I'm not sure if he should go to school - might he be contagious? and would CMs be OK to look after him? Thanks for any advice.

FoofFighter Sun 08-Nov-09 12:23:12

You never know when your child is incubating something at the best of times so no don't keep him away.

LIZS Sun 08-Nov-09 12:30:44

He may not be contagious for about 2 weeks - assuming he catches it at all - from exposure so normally you'd send until you know one way or the other. If you know when ds1 caught it you could identify whether ds2 would be more imminent than this or not (ie if they were exposed at same time or if only contact through ds1)

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 08-Nov-09 12:45:10

you cant keep ds2 off school/cm etc INCASE they pop out in spots

but i would def mention it to the cm that older sibling has the pox

all of dc friends have had cp and I have tried so hard to get it for my younger 2 dc, but we just cant get it

saadia Sun 08-Nov-09 13:01:32

thanks everyone, LIZS my guess is that ds1 caught it at school (from someone in his class) so ds2 may not have had exposure. Blondes... IKWYM, ds1 is the last of his friends to get it and I would rather he as it now (although he is covered in spots). Will just wait and see what happens with ds2.

4kidsandlovingit Sun 08-Nov-09 23:10:55

Hi My DD2 had chicken pox earlier in the year and her twin DS2 still went to school with it. You cannot say one way or another whether they are contagious or not until spots start to appear so you have no reason not to send them. As it was in my case DS2 came down with it the following week just as DD2 went back to school but thats just the way it goes.

saadia Mon 09-Nov-09 09:40:11

thanks 4kids.., yes ds2 has gone to school and CM said she was happy to collect him - I wasn't sure if she would want to - I'm expecting ds2 to get in the next couple of weeks.

susiey Mon 09-Nov-09 17:31:09

my ds and dd had an incuation period of 21 days ( from last spot from ds to 1st spot in dd) between them you need to treat them as you normally would until they show symptoms

saadia Mon 09-Nov-09 19:11:53

that's interesting susiey, I have heard (from a friend) that it's not inevitable that ds2 will get it as he may have developed immunity - not sure how likely this is though considering that they are living and playing together. Anyway, thanks for that info - gives me an idea of when I might be needing to arrange childcare if he does get it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now