Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

live-out nanny or nursary, please help!

(17 Posts)
Duang Fri 06-Nov-09 21:07:08

We plan to put my 2 children in a nursery. It will cost roughly 3500 per month. That would leave us almost nothing left to live on. We would like to look at the option of live-in nanny but we really have no idea how does that work, the cost and what to consider. Anybody who has experience, help us please. We do greatly appreciate any replies or comments

LynetteScavo Fri 06-Nov-09 21:09:39

Did you mean live in or out - you've put both. smile

How old are your children?

LynetteScavo Fri 06-Nov-09 21:10:34

£3,500? shock

Fabster Fri 06-Nov-09 21:12:08

Are you sure you meant £3500??

Duang Fri 06-Nov-09 21:54:50

Apologies,I meant 'live-out'. Just saw the invoice from the nursery so my hands were a bit shaky

yes it would be around 3,500. It is GBP 70 per day per child. So, for a full time childcare of 2 children (2.5 years old and 5 months) that is the price I have to pay. The most important thing of all, this nursery is not that great.

I am still taking care of my younger daughter but will be going back to work very soon. My husband and I will have nothing left after paying for the nursery.......

nannynick Fri 06-Nov-09 21:59:18

How many hours per day of childcare do you need, if childcare was to be provided in your home? What part of the country are you living in?

nannynick Fri 06-Nov-09 22:08:11

Just playing with some basic figures:

If paying the nanny £26,000 a year gross
Employers NI is around £2600 ListenToTaxman.com
Add on say £150 in Payroll Admin costs
Add on say £1500 for activities/nanny kitty for the year.
Add on say £2400 for nannies mileage over the year.

So currently £32,650 - £2720.83 a month

Then there will be some other things to add on, such as a value for wear & tear on your home, cost of heating/lighting at your home, cost of food.

I reckon it's going to be less then £3500 a month, all in. Probably around the £3000 mark.

nannynick Fri 06-Nov-09 22:15:46

Not sure how you are getting your £3500 a month, if cost is £70 per day per child.
£140 a day, £700 a week, £36400 a year (based on 52 week year). So about £3033 a month.

So the cost difference between a nanny and the nursery may not be much. BUT there will be other factors to consider... such as with a nanny you don't need to get the children up in the morning, plus a nanny may care for a child who is mildly ill. There are negative points as well, such as if nanny is ill, you need to cover their day(s) off. Nannies have holiday at some point (5.6 weeks holiday statutory entitlement) so you need to cover that between you and DH.

LynetteScavo Fri 06-Nov-09 22:16:43

If paying for child care really leaves you with hardly any money..why are you going back ot work? Indeed, can you aford to go back to work?

nannynick Fri 06-Nov-09 22:20:18

When considering childcare, look at what you may need in future as well. Such as when your eldest starts school... how will you cope with that. The nursery may not collect from the school.
Have you considered Childminders? In my area typical childminder fees are £4.50-£5 per hour, per child... so say up to £100 a day for two children. Lower cost than both nursery and nanny options so far, based on my calculations. Though it will depend on local childminder fee rates and what is/isn't included in that fee.

LynetteScavo Fri 06-Nov-09 22:53:34

But surely if your eldest is already at nursery, you would have figured out the economics before now. hmm

Where (roughly)do you live? And why are you sending your DC's to a nusrsery which isn't great, but costs so much?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Nov-09 23:15:16

£70 a day per child shock

thats VERY expensive

thought nurserys were around the £45 mark area depending

you would def be able to find a live in nanny for MUCH less than £3500 a month and probably a live out one either young or with a little bit of experience

littlestarschildminding Sat 07-Nov-09 09:08:06

Nurseries around here in W-London are £60-£75 per day and cms £50-£65 per day. So prob in London.

Duang Sat 07-Nov-09 10:26:53

Thanks nannynick, Lynette and littlestars for all valued feedback. I truly appreciate.
I have just moved (in a hurry as a matter of fact) from other country to the area (Kew) and have very little knowledge of how the childcare system works here. Now that things start to settle down a bit we start to look at other available options (nanny - CM - etc.)

I did consider staying at home but it would damage my career in the longer term and I do want my children to have an exposure in other environments than home. Now it is just a matter of find the most suitable solution to our situation.

The cost of 3500 was roughly calculated based on the first invoice I received from the daycare. I might be wrong to state that they charge 70 per day. It might very well be 75. Need to check that.....

What is the typical going rate for a live-out nanny?

Again, thank you so much for all your advice. It is really an eye-opening for me.

nannynick Sat 07-Nov-09 10:41:29

Hard to know what going rates are... especially in London. But looking around at nanny job sites - such as www.nannyjob.co.uk will give some suggestion. I would have thought you would be looking around the £10-£13 gross per hour figure being in London. Outside of the M25 that drops to £7-£11 gross per hour.

Looking at Nannyjob there are jobs in
Cheme - £8-£10 net (so add about 25% for the gross figure - as an employer you should always use Gross figures for salary, as that what taxation is calculated from).
Acton - £9-£10 net
SW14 - £450 net per week
Hammersmith - £500 net per week
Richmond - £10 per hour net.

So looks like it could be £12-£13 gross per hour mark in your area for someone with lots of experience.

nannyneedshelp Sat 07-Nov-09 13:45:09

Hi, I have worked in both a nursery and as a nanny. My opinion is that if there is not much difference in figured, nanny is better. The children will get more one on one attention and the nanny can take them out and about as they wish. The nursery I worked for was great but obviously things are more structured and less able to cater for individual children. I dont know what the nursery fees are like but I would imagine they should be less than the cost of a live out nanny. Good luck

madusa Sun 08-Nov-09 09:31:43

£10 net is about £15 gross for full time hours.

I would guess that for London, you need to base your figures on about £12 - £15 per hour gross

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now