Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How come I can get an Aupair at quarter cost of a Nanny

(124 Posts)
emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 00:18:03

I am bit gobsmacked and wonder is there something wrong somewhere.

I have been looking for a Nanny or an AuPair and did major research (at least I think I did). Have posed the same questions to Nanny's and Au Pairs.

You may have read my other thread so you will be aware that I don't need really need anyone full time.

But a nanny is going to cost me X and the AuPair Y and the AuPair is looking for a fraction of the Nanny salary and is still prepared to do the housework ect...

Am I missing something or should I be ecstatic that I can employ an AuPair to do more than a Nanny at a fraction of the cost.

By the way I do not think this would be exploitation as the AuPair offered to do the housework in the first place.

Seems strange though!

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 00:21:18

From what I understand a nanny has been 'trained' to look after your children, done a course etc etc, whereas an Au Pair has no formal qualifications.

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 00:22:59

Gwenick don't see the difference the AuPair we are looking is as much trained as a "professional Nanny" as far as we can see - with younger brothers and sisters

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 00:23:53

Just because you have a "qualification" doesn't mean that you are better

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 00:24:38

Is it not better to have a "natural" than a "trained"

Flossam Fri 17-Jun-05 00:26:46

People will pay for a qualification though. Otherwise no-one would train.

jessicasmummy Fri 17-Jun-05 00:27:25

how much is an au pair anyway? NOSEY QUESTION IM SORRY

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 00:27:35

it's a bit like teachers.

A classroom assistant could probably look after your child and perhaps even teach them the subjects that they're 'assisting' in and good an excellent job.

A teacher has been 'trained' to look after you child and teach them.

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 00:35:17

Well I can get an AuPair for £50 a week compared to xxx for a nanny and yes I think she is just as able for the job than those who are "trained" to do the job.

Surely if you are a natural you are better than a "trained" - just for the TITLE????????????

jessicasmummy Fri 17-Jun-05 00:38:25

is that full time?!

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 00:38:29

Not just for the title.

How would you feel if your child was going to nursery.

You went in and saw a good staff to pupil ratio and a great nursery.

BUT - all the staff were untrained - all basically just nursery assisstants?

You went into another excellent nursery identical to the first except there were staff with qualifications???

Also the fact that someone has bothered to 'train' shows (to me) a dedication to the career, rather than a job opportunity that's just 'come along'...Don't forget many Nanny's are "Nanny's for Life", while Au Pairs 'generally' tend to only do the job for a couple of years before moving on to other things.

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 00:40:06

Also a Nanny is 'trained' to have sole charge of your children (ie without you there).

Au Pairs geneerally also shouldn't be left in sole charge of children under 2 - and most will also take time off to go to college during the week.

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 00:43:39

Ok Gwenick, but how long do you need a nanny for.

Not for years.

And an Aupair as far as I can see can do the same job. A qualification is only a piece of paper but might not be any better than an aupair but get what 4/5 times the pay.

There is something wrong somewhere!

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 00:44:30

"Nanny for Life" - define ????

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 00:44:40

Why do I get the feeling I'm wasting my time [frown]

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 00:46:47

"nanny for life" - my definition

They've done their training, got their early years qualifications, and will probably spend the rest of THEIR life in nannying, or at least childcare based work. - so their make a CAREER choice in childcare.

An Au Pair is probably going to college while living with you (oh yeah there's another thing - an Au Pair HAS to live with, a nanny can be 'live out') - and the chances are will go off and have a career in something completely unrelated.

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 00:49:29

Sorry - just trying to find out your opinion on the options available. Took your comments on board but just wondering the reality of the situation. IE I can get an AuPair to mind kids over 2, she is entusiastic, willing to do housework. has younger siblings, will do the same hours but has no qualification.

What makes a Nanny who maybe not interested in kids but just she has a qualification better than the AuPair who is more personable, more interested, more motivated and who I feel happy with

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 00:52:14

What makes a Nanny who maybe not interested in kids but just she has a qualification ???????

Would you go off and pay money to study a course for which you had no interest??????? I know I certainly wouldn't work hard to get qualifications in a subject which I wasn't interested in. And Nanny's aren't 'really' there to do your housework - they're there to look after your children, and do children related housework.

and Au Pairs shouldn't really be left in sole charge of children (especially young ones - ie under 2) for any length of time. Although on the plus side they EXPECT to do housework.

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 00:56:03

But Gwenick it is the same as all occupations - jut cos you study Accountany doesnt make you a great accountant. You may know the formula but you can't be the one who is personable enough to deal directly with a client.

This is my point.

you can be taught but it doesn't make you any better than a natural genious.

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 01:00:36

this

makes some interesting reading....

especially this bit

" Nanny / Housekeeper & After School Nanny

Expect to pay a premium if you wish to employ one. If you expect or require a nanny to also be a cleaner or work unsociable hours (before 8am or after 6.00pm) add a minimum of 25% to current salaries published."

So a nanny that looks after the children AND does housework will cost 25% more than a straight nanny.

And as for your comment

" You may know the formula but you can't be the one who is personable enough to deal directly with a client. "

Well - you could have found an Au Pair who you couldn't stand, and a nanny you loved. And the nanny you don't like might be adored by Mrs. Smith down the road. That (I undestand) why people advise, if you're looking for childcare such as Au Pairs/Nanny's/Childminders to make sure that YOU get along with them.

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 01:03:47

"The Home Office states: " A girl may help in the house for up to 5 hours a day for pocket money. Suitable tasks would include light housework and taking care of children. She should have off at least one day a week and be free to attend language courses and religious ceremonies as she wishes. She may also be expected to baby-sit for up to 2 nights per week and should have her own room." They should not be seen as an alternative to a Nanny for looking after young children in a sole capacity charge, or as an alternative to a Mother's Help position."

Found on this website

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 01:06:38

Gwenick just got a big blue nothing on your link. Agree with you completely but back to my question if you interview a "nanny" and an "auPair" and they give you similar answers be they be qualified or not surely you would go for the "friendly, family loving person, no qualms in relation to keeping kids areas clean and tidy, is enthusiastic" but................... the dreaded word has no "FORMAL" training. I have put my scenarios up here and know what I wwould do

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 01:07:16

I have put my scenarios up here and know what I wwould do

So why bother posting then??????

SaintGeorge Fri 17-Jun-05 01:08:52

You are going to get a headache Gwenick if you keep hitting your head against this brick wall

emmerdale Fri 17-Jun-05 01:08:54

just wondering what others thought and what their opinions were

Are you a NANNY?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now