Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Increase for 2nd child

(14 Posts)
K75 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:26:03

Am returning to work soon so my Nanny will have sole charge of both children (she had DD1 before I was on maternity leave).

I have heard people typically give an increase; anyone have any examples?

Thanks

nannynick Thu 05-Nov-09 21:28:47

Why give any increase... a nanny is paid per family, not per child.

If you haven't done an annual review of salary for a while, then it may be time to increase a little - but salaries are not going up hugely at present, so percentage rise may be very small.

K75 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:41:49

Fair point Nick, but it is for sure more work and I want to recognise that.

I always do an annual review; only 3% last year and I expect similar this year. I usually check in with the agencies once a year and speak to colleagues/friends for benchmarking. I prefer to pay top quartile as top performer and I don't want her looking elsewhere!

annh Thu 05-Nov-09 22:53:27

But to follow that through logically, you would then presumably decrease her salary when your dd1 starts school - as then she'll be back to one child again for most of the day? Agree with Nick that you normally pay the nanny a fixed amount regardless of an increase in children (unless perhaps you'd had triplets in which case you might need two nannies anyway!)

vInTaGeVioLeT Fri 06-Nov-09 00:10:17

i'd say Nanny would deserve a increase as she is no longer doing the same job she was taken on for - if that makes sense.
that said i know nothing about nannies or their pay structures grin

nannynick Fri 06-Nov-09 06:56:52

Good point annh... while a nanny may love the idea of being paid more for caring for another child, they won't like being paid less once a child goes to school.

K75 - has your nanny actually raised the issue of wanting more pay to care for the new baby?
Could a bonus at some point during the year be considered instead of a pay rise... such as a Thank you for seeing us through the first 3 months of babies life, kinda thing.

AtheneNoctua Fri 06-Nov-09 08:54:01

Your nanny's job will change. But I think she will just have different priorities rather than more work. For example, she might have less time for cooking because she is busy feeding a baby. She might have less time for laundry because she is tidying up baby toys. And so on. So be prepared to be a bit flexible on the standards upheld around the house. But, I wouldn't adjust the salary. There will still only be one of her. So she won't be able to do more work, assuming she doesn't spend half the day sitting around doing nothing now.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Nov-09 13:33:13

we will always disagree on this but i think that it is nice to give a payrise when a sibling comes along

i have always had a payrise, though i know many dont

AtheneNoctua Fri 06-Nov-09 13:36:17

But then are you prepared to do all of the things you did before the dc came along? So never evern an excuse of oh I don't have time to do that now with baby x.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Nov-09 13:39:51

well as you know in this position i dont do anything anyway wink

hence why no 3 is alseep and im on mb laptop while mb is having lunch

AtheneNoctua Fri 06-Nov-09 14:12:06

"I don't do anything anyway"

I'm going to remember that quote. grin

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Nov-09 14:29:08

pmsl - life will be manic in a mo

then I shall be earning my salary!! grin

wake no 3,drive and pick up no 2 from nursery and no 1 from school, take to pool, change no 2 and go to swim lessons, then no 1 striaght after for her lesson, while feeding no 3

then give 1 and 2 tea and bath all 3

<wipes brow>

K75 Fri 06-Nov-09 17:30:57

Thanks; think I might just combine with annual increase & additional responsibility. Gives me an excuse not to be so generous next year!

Good idea on the bonus Nick; I have already given her a gift for getting us through the first few months; she really went out of her way though; getting up in night to support no 1 after home birth etc.

Nick - no, she has not requested and I am sure she wouldn't but she also knows I always keep an eye on where the market is at and keep things favourable.

Athene - she does get a fair amount of down time (no 1 still has a v long nap and goes to pre school a few days a week); this will go!

Blondes - be interested to know what kind of increases you have had.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Nov-09 23:19:39

K75 generally i get another £5 per day <whispers nett> so roughly about .50 ph payrise

anything is a bonus so even if £5/10 a week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now