Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - Overnight Care on NEW YEARS EVE

(24 Posts)
looneytune Thu 05-Nov-09 11:22:03

Hi everyone

A new parent has just contacted me asking if I do overnight care on New Years Eve. I certainly wouldn't do it for my usual rate and there is a good chance we could be going to friends this year and partying for a change like lots of other people BUT, if I decided to do it, what do you think would be a good charge? This child is VERY new to me and already we know that there are going to be problems settling at nap times so I'm guessing it wouldn't be an 'easy' night.

WWYD?

ilove Thu 05-Nov-09 11:23:12

I'd want at least £200 - lol

looneytune Thu 05-Nov-09 11:27:00

LOL, dh said £300 which I thought was steep but yes, I think at least £200 is fair for a night like that!! I know they won't want to pay it and that's fine with me, just thinking of my reply

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 05-Nov-09 12:27:44

double what you normally charge for bs/sleeover

my normal rate would be if from 7pm to 7am £80 so minimum of £160

but as you think you will be earning your money as child doesnt sleep well then price out of the parens limit

looneytune Thu 05-Nov-09 12:31:13

Yep, I think £200 would be pricing OUT so that's fine by me. I'm closed for 12 days from 23rd December so even more reason to make it worth my while as it would stop us from going away at that time.

paranormalghostygoat Thu 05-Nov-09 12:34:44

looneytune - just a word of warning that they might decide to take you up on it. (I hope not for your sake but be prepared)

looneytune Thu 05-Nov-09 12:36:10

That's fine, as long as it's £200 we don't mind wink If I could get one more at £200, we'd sacrifice our room as £400 would be worth 'one of those nights' grin

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 05-Nov-09 12:49:04

maybe say £250 -just to be safe!!

looneytune Thu 05-Nov-09 13:11:44

Yeah, why not!! It's the one night of the year I think I could get away with it and if they don't want it, fine, we have a party instead grin

I think somewhere between £200-£300 for 7pm-7am charge nearer £300 if they want you to have them til 9-10am, as you are not overly desperate to do it and have others possible plans but willing to cancel if they are paying enough!!

nannynick Thu 05-Nov-09 22:00:09

Make sure you include a cancellation clause, so that you still get some payment in the event that they cancel prior or on the night.

vInTaGeVioLeT Fri 06-Nov-09 00:06:51

if they are willing to pay £300 for a night out they are crazy grin

looneytune Fri 06-Nov-09 11:04:54

All sorted, it was too much grin

looneytune Fri 06-Nov-09 11:06:21

Vi - some people ARE that crazy!! I have a very lovely mindees' mum who has on several occasions paid £100+ for taxi home from city after getting too drunk and not wanting to wait for a train!! lol This on top of cost of night out and paying me overnight care - and this is just normal night out! grin

paranormalghostygoat Fri 06-Nov-09 11:07:03

Good for you looneytune

vInTaGeVioLeT Fri 06-Nov-09 12:43:07

OMFG grin i baulk at a £5 taxi fare! i am a total tight wad though!

i pay my daughter a fiver to baby sit! Perhaps it's time for an increase?!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Nov-09 13:20:27

glad mum said no - means you can go and party on nye

looneytune Fri 06-Nov-09 16:44:58

Lol, I'm a tight wad too! grin

No idea what we'll be doing NYE, only be able to do a party if it's at a house my kids can stay at. But no way was I breaking up my 12 days off unless the money was well worth it as it's a hassle (moving ds2 into our room etc) and this mindee is not the best of sleepers by the sounds of it (they're new).

Anyway, if anyone does end up wanting me, then fine but it will be VERY expensive lol.

vInTaGeVioLeT Sat 07-Nov-09 00:22:17

do you have to have a seperate bedroom for overnight care?
i have been asked to do it a few times - though i doubt they'd be willing to pay £50 for 12 hrs TBH

looneytune Sat 07-Nov-09 16:06:06

Vi - yes, I certainly was told I had to have a seperate room (unless say 2 children from same family who are same sex). You have to be registered for overnight care to do it of course. I think £50 is a fair charge. I always got paid £70 per night until the credit crunch and I reduced my charge to £50 to encourage more current mindee bookings. It worked, because I'm now £50 a night (for mindees who are settled with me and in a good routine!!), I'm getting much more frequent bookings so I'm actually getting more money than before if that makes sense.

HTH

saz73 Sat 07-Nov-09 19:55:04

Hi LT, I and I know of two other cm's was told you don't have to have a seperate room and that it was ok to share, even if not siblings. I always use to move my own children into one room and then had a dedicated room for a overniter. As long as they have their own bed and clean linen it is acceptable to share, the ofsted inspector told us it's just the same as having a friend for a sleep over. Unless the parent insists on having their own room then I'd have to move things around, but as mindee I offen overnite too are part of my extended family and are very close to my children and ok with parents they will share it's all part of the fun for the child.

Katymac Sat 07-Nov-09 20:04:46

I am so not doing this

Come NYE I will be in Jamaica - & I can't wait (just bought DD 2 tankinis - they were so hard to find)

vInTaGeVioLeT Sat 07-Nov-09 23:12:44

ooooh Katy envy

hmmm conflicting ofsted advice then!

i'm due an ofsted inspection soon i may ask the inspector then - i don't have a spare room but ds's room is large - i get asked occasionaly if i offer the service and it may be "easy money" as i'm friends with a lot of the parents i mind for and therefore know the mindees well, it's easy to forget i'm actually working sometimes grin

i'd never ever ever do NYE though as it is a HUGE event in my town - i love it - this year i'm thinking of dressing as a vampire and taking ds out dressed as a werewolf on a dog lead! {bad mother alert}

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 07-Nov-09 23:31:11

could you register your childs bedroom and get your own child to sleep in with you if you havent a spare bedroom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now