Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AP's bed is not comfortable enough...

(54 Posts)
NewTeacher Wed 04-Nov-09 17:45:56

Hi there

My AP complained to me today that her bed is not comfortable enough as she sleeps on her tummy and she says she can feel the springs through it.

Odd, I thought as the bed was bought new from Argos 2.5 years ago (£200 or so) and 3 other AP's have slept on it and not said anything. Its the same quality of bed I would have bought for a guest room.

I had a little lie down and I agree its not as comfortable as my own but its the same standard as those found in other people spare rooms.

I think she is expecting me to buy a new mattress what do I do?

bigchris Wed 04-Nov-09 17:48:48

i think if you can afford it and you rate her as your AP and want her to stay then yes i would
if it were a dc asking would you buy a new mattress?

nannynick Wed 04-Nov-09 17:53:20

Tell her you are not running a 5-star hotel!

Could an underblanket help make the springs less able to be felt? (cost around £20) A feather mattress topper, or a memory foam topper are also possible options though are both quite costly.

Does the mattress get rotated/turned on a regular basis? Turning it over and rotating it may help.

atworknotworking Wed 04-Nov-09 18:10:34

My DD likes a really squishy mattress, so being a tight git grinI bought a double 12tog duvet from ASDA cost £6 folded it over and popped it onto the mattress under the fitted sheet. DD loves it really squishy and bouncey. Might be worth a go.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 04-Nov-09 18:20:05

I think the point about spare beds is that they aren't slept in regularly so you can get away with less IYSWIM.

This isn't a spare bed.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 04-Nov-09 18:20:51

Of course, she may just be a bit 'princess and the pea'ish...

belgo Wed 04-Nov-09 18:22:24

Buy her a new mattress. Feeling the springs though is very uncomfortable. She needs to be able to sleep properly to do her work properly.

bamboobutton Wed 04-Nov-09 18:24:47

i think YA a bit U.

my mum has a guest bed she insists is lovely and comfortable. i think it's like sleeping on an old prison slab!

if she can feel springs i think you should replace it.

or swap it with your mattress if it's so greatgrin

belgo Wed 04-Nov-09 18:27:12

You can buy mattresses without springs.

As for the 'it's not a five star hotel' comment, reading something like that would make me very angry if I was an au pair. How incredibly disrespectful.

A comfortable bed is vital to a good night's sleep and everyone deserves a good night's sleep.

catepilarr Wed 04-Nov-09 18:49:34

why are you comparing a bed for an ap with a bed in a spare room?? she is there permanetly not for a week. turning over might help but she probably tried that. something like this might help but not sure http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60163094.
i have slept on uncomfortable mattresses as an ap and it made my life miserable and gave me backaches - just because i felt i cant tell my bosses.

Weegle Wed 04-Nov-09 18:54:01

I agree - it shouldn't be a spare room quality mattress - as it's in use night after night month after month - for 2.5 years so far... I think it should be one YOU are happy to sleep on night after night. You either do that by buying a new, but cheap, mattress per au pair. Or you invest in a good quality one and make sure AP's are briefed on undersheets and mattress protectors...

LynetteScavo Wed 04-Nov-09 18:54:55

We bought DS a bed from Argos, and after 2 and a half years it needed a new matress. I think it's time for you to buy a new (springless) matress.

People spend a large amount of their lives in bed, (1/3 ?) so it's improtant to have a decent matress and pillow.

NewTeacher Wed 04-Nov-09 18:55:55

I see what you are saying people. BUT how much do you expect to pay for a bed for an AP then?

A new mattress is out of the question as I know the one I bought with the bed was £130 so not cheap, It was bought online so cant be tested before being bought. So what guarantee have I got that the next one wont be as bad?

Thanks for the responses. I think I will go for the mattress topper option even those arent cheap at £70.

hellzapoppin Wed 04-Nov-09 19:20:45

Here's a mattress for less than your topper and it has no springs- so solves that problem. They are v. comfortable too.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90102080

(Ikea - if link doesn't work)

AvadaNuffofFireworks Wed 04-Nov-09 19:23:45

Bung a duvet in between the sheet and mattress as a stop gap. Don't buy a mattress with springs, they are awful unless you are a lightweight child.

I would expect to pay the same amount for a bed for an AP as for anyone else, what an odd question. Do they not deserve a decent bed to sleep in?

biscuit

LynetteScavo Wed 04-Nov-09 19:25:57

TBH - I think you should provide the same standard of bed for your AP as you would your own child. When we replaced our Argos ones we went to dreams and bought a foam one. DH thinks it cost about £70. It's V' comfy, and has lasted well so far (3 years)

frakkinaround Wed 04-Nov-09 19:38:21

If you expect your AP to be well rested and able to look after your children you need to be providing her with a good night's sleep.

The IKEA mattresses are very comfy, IMO.

belgo Wed 04-Nov-09 20:01:29

If you can afford an au pair then you can afford to provide her with the same standard of bed as your own. You need to take her to a bed shop and let her try out the mattresses to make sure the next one is comfortable.

MrsTittleMouse Wed 04-Nov-09 20:08:05

You are being unreasonable. I can remember telling my parents that my bed was uncomfortable and that I could feel the springs, but they didn't get me a new one for financial reasons. hmm It was awful. I can't describe how it impacted my quality of life. I found myself contorting to get into a position that was the least uncomfortable, and I was a lightweight child! My parents aren't normally that arsey, so I don't know what got into them.

Anyway, the point is that you need to get her a new mattress. This isn't a spare bed that she is sleeping on once, it's her bed that she has to sleep on night after night! Having a quick lie down isn't going to replicate that.

We used to sleep on a cheap memory foam mattress from a discount bed place, by the way, and it was perfectly fine, so you don't have to spend a fortune.

Fabster Wed 04-Nov-09 20:12:17

I think £130 is pretty cheap for a mattress and if she can feel the springs you must replace it. Poor girl.

I doubt a topper will help, if it was the buttons fine, but not with springs.

catepilarr Wed 04-Nov-09 20:16:56

agree with others that of course the mattress for an ap should be the same as for yourselves.

Singed Wed 04-Nov-09 20:40:06

We bought this mattress for DD2s bed and it's really comfy

The double is £80.

DadInsteadofMum Wed 04-Nov-09 21:06:54

Was in exactly the same situation this summer, bought a new mattress straight away. No she is not expecting 5* treatment, she is expecting the same treatment as the rest of the family - au pair = on a par with.

thisisyesterday Wed 04-Nov-09 21:11:52

i also think you should buy a new one
£130 really is pretty cheap for a mattress.

paisleyleaf Wed 04-Nov-09 21:12:27

LynetteScavo, your post made me smile,
" DH thinks it cost about £70"
....how much was it actually then? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now