Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What gifts do you like to receive from your charges and their families?

(17 Posts)
MiniMarmite Wed 04-Nov-09 14:24:57

DS started going to a childminder (at 12 months, 2 days per week) for the first time in September when I went back to work.

She's been so wonderful and really made going back relatively painless for both DS and me.

I have obviously told her this but want to get her a gift for Christmas that shows her that we really appreciate everything that she does but I'm a little afraid of being OTT too! I also imagine that maybe Childminders get a lot of chocs, toiletries and the like from their charges and families!

What's the best gift you've ever received from your families or what would you like to receive (and what should I avoid)?

TIA smile

positiveattitudeonly Wed 04-Nov-09 20:15:01

Hi MM - Fancy seeing you here. Didn'r realise it was you til after I read it!

Just wanted to give you a bit of a bump and say that, not the same at all, but when DD3 (special needs) was in reception her one to one helper was an absolute gem. We bought her a nice silver bracelet and had it engraved. She was thrilled with it and if we see her in town she will still often show us that she is still wearing it....11 years later!! So can't be bad!

I am sure she will appreciate whatever she gets and a well worded card can say and mean so much!

Katymac Wed 04-Nov-09 22:05:03

I like a toy for the setting or a lovely card

Sometimes I get a present for my DD which is lovely too

I do find chocolates difficult, & neither DH nor I drink, I have major skin allergies - so I'm a pain to buy for tbh - but hopefully easy to please

MiniMarmite Wed 04-Nov-09 22:12:29

Hi PA smile what a great story - how lovely that you still see her 11 years later. I will have to keep an eye on what kind of jewellery Ds's childminder wears!

A toy for the setting is a fab idea too Katymac. I think I might do that and get something for her as well.

AvadaNuffofFireworks Wed 04-Nov-09 22:30:47

A lovely bottle of wine

I don't expect anything more than a token gift and would be highly uncomfortable with anyone spending more than £5-£10. Just the fact that I have been thought of is enough.

Don't forget a card! I like the cards more than the presents tbh, I can keep them

Scarfmaker Wed 04-Nov-09 23:55:04

I agree - I like a card more than anything.

A nice big bunch of flowers is lovely! Or something like a climbing flower - one of my parents bought me a lovely passion flower plant and it's spread all over the bottom of my garden now and reminds me of her children.

nannynick Thu 05-Nov-09 06:45:47

A toy for the setting sounds good... a toy that will last... so in my view something made from wood. Habitat has wooden Fruit / Veg boxes, or WoodenToyStore has lots online. Puppets are nice and tend to be quite costly. Story Puppet Sets are quite good as well.
Suggest asking your CM what sort of toys they would like, so you have a general theme to go with. Such as Puppets, Play Food, Vehicles, People.

Katymac Thu 05-Nov-09 07:19:44

I agree Nick

It is so hard when I am saving up for something for the setting which is pricey & then I get handed 3 boxes of Quality Street (not that I don't like QS - I do & I totally appreciate the sentiment) but when we as a family are going without (like atm while saving for waterproofs for the children) it just seems a bit conflict-y

I know a lot of people won't agree with me & I know my view is controversial (& seems ungrateful & I'm really not)

MiniMarmite Thu 05-Nov-09 12:44:29

Thanks Everyone, that's so helpful (although Nick I think I might get a bit carried away buying DS's Christmas presents at WoodenToyStore so my bank manager might not agree)!

nannynick Thu 05-Nov-09 19:10:23

That site is great isn't it. It is also about 25-30% cheaper than a shop I went into in Guildford when looking for a Wooden Tractor by PLAN. Still didn't buy it though... as it was still £30, when I had thought it may be like £15.
I spent enough in Habitat on wooden toys... before finding that online store. Have to avoid temptation to buy more wooden Xmas presents.

pointydogg Thu 05-Nov-09 19:18:42

why is is called the setting?

Katymac Thu 05-Nov-09 20:07:40

Well for me the 'setting' is where I work - although for me it is separate room(s) it is more an abstract concept of 'work'. So my setting consists of the toys/resources/furniture that the children use - quite different to my house where I live

nannynick Thu 05-Nov-09 20:10:28

Don't know Pointydogg - just seems to be what a childcare business is referred to these days... it could mean it was a nursery, pre-school/playgroup, out-of-school care/holiday care, creche or childminder.

pointydogg Thu 05-Nov-09 20:23:03

oh ok, a jargony word.

This is interetsing. I would never ever think of getting my cm a toy.

LesbianMummy1 Thu 05-Nov-09 20:42:43

have you thought about phoning or writing to ofsted with compliments regarding your cm that and a small token present may be well received one of the families i worked with sent me a card recently which brought tears to my eyes and was very much appreciated

pointydogg Thu 05-Nov-09 20:44:27

dd2 wrote a cm newspaper recently and interviewed teh other kids. It was var funny. Cm is keeping for care commission.

MiniMarmite Thu 05-Nov-09 22:37:47

Yes, LesbianMummy1 I will give some thought to contacting Ofsted. I will probably wait until the New Year so I've a few months worth of experience with her to give feedback on.

As far as the gift goes, from everyone's comments I've taken that a gift for the setting (after asking her what would be suitable), a small (but lovely) gift for her and a meaningful card are likely to be appreciated.

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now