Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

choice between 3 au pairs to make - any guidance please?

(8 Posts)
lisalisa Thu 16-Jun-05 16:30:05

Message withdrawn

uwila Thu 16-Jun-05 19:02:43

Hi Lisa,
Maybe you could find out their upbringing / family life and see which are siliar to your household. For example an only child in a small town might find life a bit too crazy for comfort in your very busy household in greater London.

Seems like your always looking for a new nanny / au pair. are you sure you aren't running an agency?

golds Thu 16-Jun-05 19:05:00

only joking - go for the ugly one, my sisters husband ran off with there's

On a more serious note - go with what uwila says re: simialr households

annh Thu 16-Jun-05 19:15:09

On a practical level, I'd also give a lot of weight to whichever one speaks the best English. If the aupair is only coming for the summer, you do not have a lot of time (or probably the inclination) to explain over and over again in simple terms how the washing machine works, how to make fish pie etc.

dizzydo Thu 16-Jun-05 20:00:02

If you havent done so already ask them what activities they enjoy doing. i.e swimming, sports, visiting museums, cooking etc. This list will obviously depending on the age of your children and will vary. IMO there is nothing worse than trying to fill the long summer holidays with an au-pair who refuses (or is not able) to swim, hates cooking, cant use the transport system etc. etc.

majorstress Fri 17-Jun-05 12:14:00

Lisalisa
how did you get on ? Romania isn't in the EU, might be more trouble with visa, is all I can think to say.

majorstress Fri 17-Jun-05 12:17:39

Dizzydo
I had a bad experience by assuming things about au pairs interests-I found that the activites that the au pair enjoyed did not translate into actually doing them with the kids. I don't care what she does in her spare time anymore, I just have to get definite statements that yes she WILL take them swimming, take them on the bus, etc.

lisalisa Mon 20-Jun-05 12:59:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now