Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies who have house-sat - how much were you paid for it?

(8 Posts)
Fleecy Tue 03-Nov-09 22:41:59

We are going away for a fortnight next year and have two cats. We'd prefer to have someone house-sit than put the cats in the cattery - it's nicer for them and it's more secure.

We wondered about asking our nanny as she already knows her way around. I saw on another thread that some of you have house-sat for your families, so I wondered how much you got paid for doing it and how that compares to your normal wage.

Thanks

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 03-Nov-09 23:04:34

will you nanny not want to go away when you do?

house sitting is nice,esp for cats as you only have to feed/change litter tray and not be there all day and not walk them, unlike dogs

never house sat without children, but maybe £20 a day?

thats a pure guess so dont know if too much/not enough

frakkinaround Wed 04-Nov-09 11:22:06

Depends if you want your nanny to have the time as holiday or not. If she has it as holiday then she might want to be free to do her own thing, I personally wouldn't want to house sit for a fortnight. If you want her to keep working then she can house sit, look after the cats, do some batch cooking, go through children's clothes and toys etc.... but then you would need to pay her full wage.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 04-Nov-09 13:26:06

i would expect the nanny to be paid full wage anyway as it is the employers choice to have the time off and the nanny shouldnt be out of pocket

nannyl Wed 04-Nov-09 13:54:04

i have house sat for 2 of my bosses and didnt get or want extra.

i was happy to have free run of the ENOURMOUSE seaside house and tennis courts and swmming pool etc etc, and was left a fridge full of yummy food and allowed to have freinds round for dinner at their house etc.

The other time i house sit cause
1) they had had intruders TWICE in the previouse 2 weeks (and both times the neighbours were actually burgled)
AND
2) i was having my bathroom done in my week off and had no bath or toilet so it helped me to stay in a house that had a 4 working toilets!

I also didnt have to stay there all the time and just used the house as my base etc.

I think if they have nothing else planned and dont mind house sitting and if they have a parnter you dont mind them staying also then maybe £150-£200 for the whole fortnight in addition to their normal wage if you have said they have to take those 2wks as part of their paid annual leave entitlement. Plus maybe leave a fridge with food they eat and maybe buy them a thankyou box of chocs.

suppose look at how much a cattery costs for the cats and offer the same or tiny bit more as saves you lots of hassle.

Fleecy Thu 05-Nov-09 22:23:04

Thank you all - I looked at this then mentioned it to her today and she's definitely up for it.

She'll get her normal pay plus pay for doing the house-sitting as extra.

We'll stock up on food for her and I trust her to look after the place, whether she chooses to have friends/family over or not, either fine with me smile

She lives at home with her parents so I think she liked the idea of having the place to herself for a couple of weeks!

Sadly, we don't have a swimming pool or tennis court to offer her. I wish we did!

She's going away earlier in the year so happy to stick around when we're away.

Shelley33 Fri 06-Nov-09 15:30:33

I house sit for employers and friends. (I'm a nanny) I charge £10 per night. Am up in the yorkshire sticks though! It's a flat charge and included seeing to any number of animals from goldfish to horses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now