Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

employing TWO nannies - implications for tax, payroll etc?

(14 Posts)
munteria Tue 03-Nov-09 16:39:26

sorry missed out the fact i am potentially employing TWO nannies.

hi

i have just posted another thread but i have lots of options in the air at the moment re: childcare when i go back to work!

thinking about employing two nannies. are there any extra implications for tax, ni etc that i should be aware of when employing two people?

thanks

nannynick Tue 03-Nov-09 17:31:25

The tax you deduct from your nannies salary is their tax and NI, so don't see any issues there. You will need to operate payroll such that there are two employees, so it's twice the amount of work.
Employers Class 1 NICs is a little different in that I think as employer you make a little bit of a saving, due there not being Class 1 NICs due on the full pay amount, just that above the LEL (Lower Earnings Limit). PAYE: Rates - Class 1 NICs

Not sure if you are able to operate Simplified Scheme. Maybe you could, if you are not paying either nanny about the max amount (currently £700 a month).

MrAnchovy Tue 03-Nov-09 17:38:37

The only difference is that there will be no NI for either employer or employee on the first £110 per week for each employee, so there should be some savings there.

But of course your payroll bureau might want to charge you more for handling two employees.

As always, make sure you agree gross salaries for both nannies.

munteria Tue 03-Nov-09 17:39:38

thank you

munteria Tue 03-Nov-09 17:41:34

thank you

AtheneNoctua Tue 03-Nov-09 20:36:55

Sounds complicated. I can hardly keep up with managing one.

nannynick Tue 03-Nov-09 21:16:40

It's not just tax side of things you will need to manage, there is the actual staff management as well, juggling holiday entitlement, sickness absence, expected duties, contracts of employment, activity/expenses kitty, keeping communication going between each employee and yourself, plus your child/ren need to get used to two different people's ways of doing things and their expectations. All this may get rather complex, hope you are the sort of person who is well organised.

munteria Wed 04-Nov-09 17:03:33

hi,

yes i am wondering if i will be able to manage when i go back to work!

nannynick Wed 04-Nov-09 17:19:05

If this if the first time you have employed a nanny, then I'd suggest you try to find just one employee to start with. Once you have had a nanny for a while, got used to managing someone working in your home, then consider having two nannies, if that's what will work best for you given your working hours.

Are your working hours such that you need to have two nannies... or could one nanny do it?

munteria Wed 04-Nov-09 18:54:36

thats great advice. no, one nanny could do the hours. just i have found one i like who only wants to do part-time...plus she is bringing her DD to work sounds like i am setting myself up for a lot of stress

nannynick Wed 04-Nov-09 19:12:31

Yes, for a first timer I would say try to make it as easy as possible... so try to avoid complicating things more than you need. If there is a shortage of nannies in your area then you may have no choice but to go with the person you have met... but if there isn't a shortage then keep interviewing to see if you can find someone who fits your job description as perfectly as possible.

frakkinaround Wed 04-Nov-09 19:51:36

From a nanny POV working as part of a nanny team is very challenging and clear communication is essential. I would say, having managed household staff (golly that makes me sound grand, it wasn't!) that you need:

-a meeting at least once a month where you all sit down together
-everything written down
-to think of everything and brief both people on it before it happens!
-an excellent, very clear nanny diary which notes sleep, feeding, playdates, any minor illnesses, new skills/developments
-very clear arrangements about holiday, especially if they are working split weeks because you don't want one nanny on holiday for half one week and another nanny on holiday for half a week two weeks later then you away on holiday a month later...
-two nannies who get on with each other as well as with you
-a clear division of labour with who does what in terms of nursery duties

I would also advocate the one nanny approach if you can because it is a logistical headache.

AtheneNoctua Thu 05-Nov-09 09:02:39

I would definitely look for one single nanny. I would also probably stear clear of a nanny share (i.e. one with own child) for the first nanny unless youare really keen for your child to have a playmate, or if the reduction in pay is essential.

Managing one nanny can be a lot of work. Two on your first nanny is crazy.

StillSquiffy Thu 05-Nov-09 09:31:26

What AN says.

I employ a nanny and an au pair and it is hellishly complicated. I can honestly only do it competently because there is a clear hierachy - the nanny is more senior than the au pair, so there is no disagreement between them about who does what, what child teaching methods to adopt, even who gets first nibs on holidays. I decide the essential rules, the nanny interprets them and explains to the au pair, the au pair follows instructions. Simples (but in practice...NOT Simple at all...) If you have two equal nannies then who decides how many minutes of reading are appropriate for DS? Whether DD gets warm milk at tea time or after bath time? It is essential that there is consistency, and that the boundaries do not change between carers.

Having done this for a few years now I would never employ two nannies. I have just offered a job to a very experienced AP who has effectively been doing sole care nannying for two years now and I only offered her the job on the condition she dropped all her nannying instincts and turned back into 'big sister' - she has had to agree not to do X, Y and Z (which my nanny does) so that there is clear water between her and the nanny (and so that the children see her differently too - nanny helps with homework and school things, au pair goes loopy with them on the trampoline).

If you really love the nanny then why not try a nanny/nursery combo? Best of both worlds.

FWIW You should also be aware that whilst it is normal to bend over backwards to keep a great nanny and do anything they ask, being really flexible with a nanny before they start working for you could undermine your authority going forward. Just a thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now