Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I have ofsted coming tomorrow and I'm nowhere ready

(26 Posts)
DeathbySummerfruit Sun 01-Nov-09 17:05:32

Hi all,

I have almost all the paperwork in the work place, the children have individual diary, but I dont have a lot of learning journey/observation and their attendance, I'm sick with worry..I'm going to get striked off...I was supposed to go for the week end with the family but didnt go in order to work but I cant focuse, cant motivate myself sad..Some cheer up please ??

Fruitbatlings Sun 01-Nov-09 17:09:59

attendance is really important.
I was told off because I didn't have the exact times by.the.minute the children arrived and left.
Observations - do you have photos you can quickly put together? I only have daily diary and photos for the EYFS crap - am hoping this will be enough for my inspection next year!

DeathbySummerfruit Sun 01-Nov-09 17:13:23

I knew it and still didnt do it as it was already full on..I guess I could pull something for the october period. I have some pictures but not a lot. Thanks for your post

glinda Sun 01-Nov-09 17:15:13

You have my sympathy DBS. Sadly Ofsted are obsessed with meaningless bits of paper.

Are you good at your job? Are your mindees happy, stimulated and safe? Are their parents pleased with the job you do?

THIS IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS.

DeathbySummerfruit Sun 01-Nov-09 17:31:20

I'm good at my job, my mindees are happy and we do have a close bond ! One of the mum said, even if you get poor, I still want you to look after after my ds, he loves and we love you !! Hopefully I wont get poor but still :-(

DeathbySummerfruit Sun 01-Nov-09 17:32:58

I'm good at my job, my mindees are happy and we do have a close bond ! One of the mum said, even if you get poor, I still want you to look after after my ds, he loves and we love you !! Hopefully I wont get poor but still :-(.Yes they are also stimulated and safe !

glinda Sun 01-Nov-09 17:38:03

Great! Hold onto that thought and stay calm.
Good luck!!!

Fruitbatlings Sun 01-Nov-09 17:44:39

Yes it is what really matters.
Shame Ofsted don't think so sad

glinda Sun 01-Nov-09 17:49:05

Do we have any Ofsted inspectors on Mumsnet?

DeathbySummerfruit Sun 01-Nov-09 18:00:38

I'm doing my attendance register, luckily I have put the arrival time and departure time on their diary, I'm just going to write in the official format...The inspector to who I have spoken to seems nice, so maybe it'll go ok, I'll be able to relax a bit during the inspection..After, this inspection, I think my life will be better, no more sleepless night, no more anxiety! Thank you ladies !

MrAnchovy Sun 01-Nov-09 18:09:13

Is there an official format? You might be doing some unncessary work there, and if you show the inspector something that was obviously cobbled together at the last minute rather than the records you actually update each day she may not be impressed.

WshosheBANG Sun 01-Nov-09 18:11:14

Summer, I got round the attendance record By putting a clipboatd by the door, with a coloumn for each child and rows by date.

As the Parents come in they sign their own children in and out (I do put the times for when I have dropped off/picked up schoolies.

It was harder to remind existing parents when I started it two years ago, but new ones automatically just do it.

email me at nanny 475 at hotmail dot com and I can send you a template if you wish.

glinda Sun 01-Nov-09 18:14:47

Mr A, are you from the dark side?

Katymac Sun 01-Nov-09 18:51:46

If you have evidence then that should be good enough

DeathbySummerfruit Sun 01-Nov-09 18:59:59

Mrs a - I'm just putting on the ncma weekly attendance record.

I think I'm going to fail, she is never going to be able to see I'm good with the children, just have to hope that they'll come and give me some cuddles during the inspection, will need the cheering up.

My printer is not working and dh is not going to come before 10'oclock instead of 7 as he promised.

Shoshe - I'm going to mail you, thank you so much

DeathbySummerfruit Sun 01-Nov-09 19:00:58

I have evidence but not the parents signature..

MrAnchovy Sun 01-Nov-09 19:03:54

No, definitely not glinda! But I am an accountant and so very used to the concept of checking compliance with procedures.

pippin26 Sun 01-Nov-09 19:07:12

Have you checked out www.childmindinghelp.co.uk - there is tons of help and useful info on there and on the very friendly forum.

Also this might be quite useful
http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/173235

DeathbySummerfruit Sun 01-Nov-09 19:10:36

Mrs A - I see where you are coming from.

Thanks Pippin, I'm going to have a look.

WshosheBANG Sun 01-Nov-09 19:11:00

Summer have emailed you

DeathbySummerfruit Sun 01-Nov-09 19:45:06

Thank you shoshe

Danthe4th Sun 01-Nov-09 19:54:36

If you have the exact arrival time and departure in their daily diary then that is all you need, you have the evidence, don't start making it up it it will be obvious.

Make sure you have all your risk assessments in place, these are very important.

Make sure you know current guidelines for safeguarding children in your area and where you have to report any concerns.

Have all your paperwork ready and laid out for the inspector, it saves time and questions.(best advice I was given)

Go on the childmindinghelp forum there is loads of fab advice.

Don't panic, what you haven't got written down if you can tell the inspector what you do and how it works for you then that will be ok, it doesn't all have to be written down. If you observe the children I expect you have written it in the diaries, all you have to show is how you use this to plan the next steps for the children.Tell her how you are beginning to use the development matters statements in the practise guidance to see the current development, thats the sort of thing she wants to hear.Write yourself a few notes. Have a look through the eyfs notes.

Have a few key words ready to say from the eyfs guidance, show how you use the document or if you don't use it much tell her how you are learning by attending training etc.

Go on the ofsted website and read some recent reports it will tell you why people are being marked down it will also show you what they are looking for.

Its too late to panic now, just chill and show how capable you are, act confident even if you're crapping yourself inside, Good luck xxx

looneytune Mon 02-Nov-09 14:21:50

Yeah, no need to re-do the register if you have it SOMEWHERE. Funny, I was in a panic about all that stuff as I had it written down but not signed by parents. Well, she never even looked at it. She didn't look at much of my wonderful paperwork too as she said 'i'm more interested in seeing what it's like for a child here' - this is what it SHOULD be about!!! The problem is, you never know what your inspector will be hot on as they all seem to be different. The main thing to do is TRY and relax and just be yourself. You'll not get striked off for things like that!!

Wishing you lots of luck xx

glinda Tue 03-Nov-09 07:48:54

How did it go?

DEPECHEMODEFAN Tue 03-Nov-09 11:26:07

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now