Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How long would you pay nanny full pay if off sick?

(18 Posts)
Rebecca41 Sat 31-Oct-09 20:50:02

I'm finalising contract for nanny starting in December, and I just wondered what most people do about this. Do you go straight to Statutory Sick Pay, or pay full salary for a while? If so how long?

Thank you

MrAnchovy Sat 31-Oct-09 21:01:26

In the contract, SSP only (note that this only kicks in after 3 days absence), but in practice we pay full salary as long as we are happy they are not taking advantage.

Fabster Sat 31-Oct-09 21:04:00

IIRC I think my previous contracts said SSP after x amount of days but in reality I had full pay but then I only had about 3 days off sick in 10 years of nannying.

Millarkie Sat 31-Oct-09 21:20:38

Exactly what MrA said

nannynick Sat 31-Oct-09 23:17:01

I don't think anyone says in contract you will get X amount of days sick at full pay these days - it's just telling the employee to take those days off sick each year.
Do as MrA says... then in reality you can decide to do what you like, given the circumstances of the situation.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Nov-09 00:41:49

nick i have 4weeks sick pay in my contract - tbh i wouldnt sign a contract that didnt state sick pay

i HAD to cover myself - dh is se and doesnt get sick pay,if we had no salary at all coming in, we would have been screwedmortgage/bills etc

tho very rare that both of us would be ill and unable to work and as it happened in dec 06 he had 3mths unpaid due to slipped disc and i had 3weeks off almost died in hospital/recovering

thank god for that clause in my contract as ssp a week wouldnt even cover a days wages for one of us

admitley it is rare, and i understand that many employers wouldnt agree to this but if you want to have me as your nanny you have to agree/sign my contract smile

5 Sickness & Sick Pay

5.1 If the Nanny is unable to attend work due to sickness or injury she shall (in so far as she is able) promptly notify the Employer either in person or by telephone (as appropriate) on the first day of absence and provide the Employer with such evidence of her sickness or injury and the cause of it as the Employer may from time to time reasonably require.

5.2 The Nanny shall be entitled to receive during her absence on sick leave in accordance with the following:

5.2.1 Full pay for the first 12 Working Days; (4 working weeks) and

5.2.2 Thereafter Statutory Sick Pay in accordance with the Government's SSP Scheme.

Millarkie Sun 01-Nov-09 16:56:32

Blondes - could you not get income protection insurance?

argento Sun 01-Nov-09 17:14:11

I think I have 5 days (or maybe 10) full pay in my contract.

Jeroboam Sun 01-Nov-09 17:16:12

Agree with Mr A. SSP only but we use discretion.

iamdisappointedinyou Sun 01-Nov-09 17:28:59

Agree with Mr A.
If prospective nanny balks at this, then think about why this might be ...hmm

(another s/e person here. If I don't turn up then I don't get paid.)

fridayschild Sun 01-Nov-09 20:10:21

Agree with Mr A. I have only used discretion to pay SSP only once in 6 years as a nanny employer, when I thought she was shirking.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Nov-09 21:34:43

just because i ask and get sick pay doesnt mean i take the piss with it angry

in 18years of nannying, i have had 3 weeks and 3 days off

3weeks becaue of a blood clot in my leg that moved to my lung, collasped it and i nearly died 3years ago

and 3 single days in the 15 years before that, each time i was in hospital having colposcopys

tbh i am rarely ill and when had bad colds, i am happy to go as long as mb doesnt mind me slumping on sofa and having tv on - which they never do - they are grateful i make the effort to go in

employers - can i ask how much sick pay you get?

i think a week is fair - thats possibly 5 days over a year

iamdisappointedinyou Sun 01-Nov-09 21:44:30

If you think that five days/a week is fair then why do you have a contract that asks for twelve days/four weeks?
If the nanny doesn't work then the employer can't work. How much sick (or other) leave a nanny has taken is an important question to ask the previous employer and could be a deal-breaker.

fridayschild Sun 01-Nov-09 21:50:47

Blondes - you might not take the pee. My view at the time, which I have not changed, is that the nanny was not sick and was taking a duvet day - she was taking liberties. When I recruit someone I don't know truly how hard working she is actually going to be.

And when I am sick? I am self-employed.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Nov-09 22:10:21

i asked and i got - has been the same in the last 2 jobs and my current job where i have been over 3 years

4weeks is 12days for me - as i said i dont take the piss with it,but is there JUST incase it is needed

if parents arent happy with the sick pay being in a contract then they shouldnt employ me

millarkie - we did look into protection payment but it didnt pay out for a month

i have had friends sign contracts with ssp and had a few days off with bronchitis/tonsilitus (sp) and didnt get paid as employers said she should have come in

frakkinaround Mon 02-Nov-09 11:16:11

I have only had 7 days off (consecutive as I was working full 7 day weeks) ever which wass when I had swine flu. Wasn't my fault I wasn't allowed to work - I had a note from the hospital forbidding me to! Now I'm SE and if I don't work I don't get paid, that's a risk I take, but I've always had one full week pay on production of a doctor's note in my contract and SSP thereafter when employed. If I'm sick enough to need to be off work then I'm sick enough to need a doctor's note for it!

Nannies are generally not shirkers. We know that if we don't come in then our employers can't work and it's a massive hassle for them and some nannies I know practically drag themselves into work, when office workers would have just taken the day off. It's not like families can just get another employee to cover the essential bits of our work! Unless you're in a fully staffed household of course but most people aren't.

AtheneNoctua Mon 02-Nov-09 11:20:19

Put SSP in the contract and, as MR A suggested, there is nothing to stop you from paying her anyway so long as you are happy and able to do so.

Parents are not profitable businesses and it is therefore not reasonable to suggest that you should give your nanny everything your employer gives you -- assuming your employer is a profitable business.

AtheneNoctua Mon 02-Nov-09 11:24:33

Incidentally, I have some shirker nannies and I've had some very hard working nannies. Both of these groups of people exist. Likewise, I know some shirkers at my work, and I know some dedicated workers at my work.

I was off onhols last summer but managed to catch what I think was probably swine flu the day before the hol started. I had several people tell me on my return that I should rebook my hols as sick days. I thought that was taking the mick a bit and did not do it. The point is there were clearly people here who would have and then had another 5 days of hol at another time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now