Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny getting registered on Ofsted - who pays?

(16 Posts)
munteria Sat 31-Oct-09 15:13:40

Hi there,

A nanny we are interested in isnt ofsted registered and we would like her to be so she can accept childcare vouchers .

she hasnt got the level 2 qualification needed although she can go on a course which is accepted by Ofsted which costs 200+. there is also the registration fee, the annual registration, annual liability registration and a first aid course which needs to be done now and then again in 3 years times.

can anyone tell me what is the norm in terms of who pays these costs (particularly the qualification needed), mother / nanny or both?

thanks

Fleecy Sat 31-Oct-09 15:19:17

We paid for half the registration fee and half the first aid course - but we put them through as benefits in kind so they're taxable.

We went shares because it was in both of our best interests. We wanted to be able to claim childcare vouchers, she is p/t so being Ofsted registered would help her with finding another p/t position.

She paid for her own insurance and CRB because she needed these anyway.

HTH!

nannyl Sat 31-Oct-09 15:23:28

my bosses pay

as its them who save the £1000ish and i gain nothing from it

munteria Sat 31-Oct-09 15:25:54

thanks. very helpful

what about the qualification she needs? i would have thought the nanny covers it as it would help her in the future - i've seen that a lot of families would insist on certain qualifications before they even think of employing a nanny

Penthesileia Sat 31-Oct-09 15:29:54

Did you put that you wanted an Ofsted reg. nanny in your ad? If so, then some negotiation seems fine - e.g. you pay half, or something. As nannyl says, it does benefit you more than her, although it's not totally one way, as you could look for someone else and she would still have to find a job, etc.

If, however, it wasn't clear to people applying for your job, then I think you should pay.

munteria Sat 31-Oct-09 15:32:57

i replied to her ad on a free website offering herself as a nanny which didnt mention anything about ofsted. we (both) have just discovered that these things are needed as discussions have gone futher

Penthesileia Sat 31-Oct-09 15:38:09

I see. Hmm, well, since you approached her, it's probably fairer if you pay the bulk of it. She wasn't offering herself as Ofsted reg., and since it's voluntary, there's no compulsion for her to do so. I think she should pay for those things without which she couldn't operate as a nanny (insurance or whatever) and then you should cover the Ofsted part. If she's going to be with you for a while, it'll pay for itself over time.

nannynick Sat 31-Oct-09 15:38:33

As a nanny, this year I have decided to pay all my registration costs.

If you advertised for an Ofsted Registered Nanny and your applicant is not already registered... then I feel they should be paying all costs associated with registration. If you want to be nice, then offer reimbursing the registration fee (£103).

If the nanny want's to be a professional, they should be covering costs of their professional training requirements - so childcare course, First Aid course.

Also something to consider... what about the time it will take to do these courses? When will the nanny do them - will you be paying for their time off work to do the courses?

munteria Sat 31-Oct-09 15:41:25

she will be able to get everything done before she starts work for me in February - she is not working at the moment.

nannynick Sat 31-Oct-09 16:31:18

First Aid courses can be rather booked up, so you may find that a suitable course isn't available for sometime. Though you never know, there may be a space on a course in Dec or Jan.
I tend to do courses by StJohn's - most suitable course in my view is Early Years First Aid (12 hour)

Once training has been done, then application can be sent to Ofsted... that can then take several weeks (sometimes a couple of months) to be processed. If you will be using Childcare Vouchers, it isn't so much of an issue as some voucher providers will let you stockpile vouchers for a while... though will mean that you can't use them to part-pay salary initially.

frakula Sat 31-Oct-09 16:35:53

As a nanny I covered my training, including 1st aid, and insurance. This means I am in a position to become OFSTED reg if required, but I would expect the employer to pick up the bill for the actual registration.

I think you're quite right is saying that she should pay her qualification because it benefits her in the long run. If she doesn't have a First Aid certificate then she would need to get one anyway.

MrAnchovy Sat 31-Oct-09 21:32:07

Note that as an employer you can pay for everything except your nanny's insurance without having to include it in the amount you use for PAYE.

To make sure that this is bullet-proof and HMRC do not view it as a benefit in kind, write it in the contract like this:

'The nanny shall maintain the following registrations and qualifications and the employer shall pay the costs necessarily incurred in obtaining and renewing these:
- Registration with Ofsted (or any successor body)
- First Aid Certificate (as agreed by the employer)
- (add anything else)
'.

(Technical note: you cannot do this with her insurance because only she benefits from it: you could try to justify it as part of the cost necessarily incurred in registering with Ofsted, but I think HMRC would successfully challenge this for non-exclusivity).

nannynick Sat 31-Oct-09 22:59:00

That's great MrAnchovy - good idea to word it like that in a contract.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Nov-09 00:49:01

employers pay for all costs as it is benifical to them and not the nanny - though I obv pay for my mm insurance.

I have first aid but ofsted insists you do the 12hrs 2 day course so if my employer wanted me to be ofsted she would have to pay for the 2 day course

mr A I have in my contract

"If we require our nanny to become ofsted registered for the childcare approval scheme, as it is for our benefit, all fees will be paid by us the employers and all requirements needed to keep approval current, ie 1st aid will be paid by us the employers."

as it happens i am not ofsted reg in my current job as neither mb/db company supports the scheme

jem21 Sun 01-Nov-09 17:37:48

As i nanny it was requested that i became ofsted registered.My eployer paid for my registration as it was a benefit to them rather than me. when my ofsted expired they paid the fee again. As for the first aid training and childcare course it is down to the nanny to pay for that as it benefits them in the long run when they take on further employment.

fridayschild Sun 01-Nov-09 20:08:28

I think ALL nannies should come with a first aid certificate - so nanny pays for that. We paid for the registration though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now