Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders Club: Late arrivals...Then not turning up at all!! What should I do?

(12 Posts)
whirlygiggle Wed 15-Jun-05 18:10:47

I wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem to mine and how did you sort it?

I look after a baby girl on a part-time basis. This morning she was expected at 8.30, just before I leave for the school run. She didn't arrive in time , so I had to leave without her. I returned and still no baby so called her mum at hom and on her mobile and couldn't contact her. She finally called at 11.00 to say that she wasn't bringing in her DD to me today and would see me tomorrow.
I know I was being paid for my time but am I being unreasonable to expect a phone call to say she wasn't coming first thing? Luckily, I had no other kids today, but we could have been going out or I could have done something with my time!!!

Xena Wed 15-Jun-05 18:13:06

Unfortunalty some parents think we are being paid so its up to them, we got up for 8am in the holidays and mindee wouldn't turn up till 10.30am drives me mad

whirlygiggle Wed 15-Jun-05 18:17:14

I just felt so cross! I could have been to Tescos or cleaned or just gone for a coffee with a friend!!
I had to keep reminding my self she was paying me any way, but i couldn't relax, didn't know I f I needed to plan lunch etc etc... so annoying!!!

RTKangaMummy Wed 15-Jun-05 18:34:59

Some parents think we are just there at their beck and call

Yes they may be paying us BUT we deserve RESPECT

BUT we are SELF EMPLOYED and so therefore you could have tried to ring her and then gone out for the day with other mindees

She is soooooooooooo rude

RTKangaMummy Wed 15-Jun-05 18:36:48

Perhaps warn her that if she continues like this then she will have to find another mug to look after the DD

Put it in writing and keep a copy

whirlygiggle Wed 15-Jun-05 18:48:28

I really do like looking after her DD, and want to continue looking after, but at times, like you say, parents do think that you are at there at their beck and call, and don't think about you as a person with a life outside minding. I think I am fairly flexible with the way I work but I just wish parents could put themselves in our shoes sometimes!

KatyMac Wed 15-Jun-05 18:51:50

A phone call wouldn't havwe hurt

A mum did this to me and I phoned at about 9.30 - to find out they had been at the hospital all night with the little one - he was OK - but they were all exhausted and I had disturbed them.

I now worry when ever someone is late - could you explain that you thought they had been in an accidnet or were ill? and that you were concerned.....

whirlygiggle Wed 15-Jun-05 19:01:44

That is a good idea katymac...i don't want her to think I am nagging, just that i would like or need a phone call to let me know. She often calls last minite to cancel me having her daughter and I usually appreciate the time off if I have no-one else but she "just forgot" to ring which annoyed me. Yes, I think I will do that, maybe I will add that if she is late without ringing and I have somewhere to be then I will have to go without her DD. Do you think that would be OK?

RTKangaMummy Wed 15-Jun-05 23:30:47

Yes good idea,

Also I say to parents to text me then cos if the mindee is being sick etc at 2am they can text and then don't have to worry about ringing in early hours or remembering in the morning.

Could suggest that

KatyMac Thu 16-Jun-05 07:49:25

Thats a great idea RTKM - I'm going to use that Thanks

RTKangaMummy Thu 16-Jun-05 10:31:22

Cheers KMc

whirlygiggle Thu 16-Jun-05 17:06:02

RTKM..I think that is a great idea too, thanks...

Thankfully, the mum turned up this morning, highly apologetic (which was nice) so i felt that it was probably going to be a one off!

I have calmed down now!! I think I was just really angry yesterday and wanted to vent off...thanks for listening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now