Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs being asked to reduce there rates!!!

(18 Posts)
MaNa1 Thu 29-Oct-09 18:25:20

just wondering if any one else has been asked to reduce there rates.

atworknotworking Thu 29-Oct-09 19:00:13

Nope not yet

Do tell

Booh Thu 29-Oct-09 19:18:20

No but I am having more and more trouble at just getting paid (one parent has asked to pay half on the 1st month and the rest three weeks later!) I said no........I have bills to pay too

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 29-Oct-09 19:25:37

Message withdrawn

allaboutme Thu 29-Oct-09 19:27:07

ooo bit bitchy

MaNa1 Thu 29-Oct-09 19:57:53

Pls don't be bitchy. I've not posted before and hate using a computer. It's just that I had a interview with parents wanting a full time place and a school pick up for their children .I had already dropped my rates from £4.25 to £4hur, then a siblin reduction on top for the school pick up. Just as they were walking out asked if I would do them a "DEAL",told me to think it over and they would call in the morning.I've childminded for 18 yrs always been full,

WailingGhoshe Thu 29-Oct-09 20:02:29

I do not negotiate, I have an hourly rate, it is in my terms and conditions and on my contratcs.

That is what I charge, if paprents dont wont to pay it, then they are free to look else where.

Like you i am always full, I work hard for my pay, and expect parents to respect that.

So no I would not reduce my rates. Why should I?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 29-Oct-09 20:05:50

Message withdrawn

HSMM Thu 29-Oct-09 20:09:08

My rates are my rates. They are not open to negotiation. Wait for someone else if you are always full.

Danthe4th Thu 29-Oct-09 21:18:51

I tell parents my rates, I do not do sibling discounts, if they don't like what I charge they can try somewhere else.
If you take this family on do it on your terms and get payment in advance, and be ready for them not to pay on occasional days off,sickness etc. make sure they understand the contract save an argument later on. You are an experienced minder, don't sell yourself short.

I think you'd be saving yourself a lot of potential future problems if you told this lot to jog on!

TheFallenMadonna Fri 30-Oct-09 08:59:22

They can ask - you can say no. That's how it works. If you're not having trouble filling your spaces, then why would you drop your rates?

MaNa1 Fri 30-Oct-09 11:23:22

It's just that i've not had to interview parents for a while due to being full, but i've just lost siblins due to them moving. I had also interviewed parents who needed three day's with two children. Older one going to pre- school but didnt want to pay while they were there, and suggested that insted of me doing the drop off they did it and only payed from the pick up, but I can't fill that time up . When they first asked it was for a drop off ect, I felt that they thought I was trying to rip them off. I felt bad so explained that while they were at work i would be 1st port of call in case I was needed plus if the pre- school was closed I would be able to look after the child.I did'nt know whether this is happening all over or just this area(herts)or just ME.

pregnantpeppa Fri 30-Oct-09 20:53:32

Hi MaNa1 I have recently interviewed several childminders to look after my DD in Herts and believe me I would never have dreamt of asking any of them to reduce their rates, plus all said that they would charge for pre-school time and I totally understood that they can't fill the place! Sounds like you have just been unlucky - just stay firm on your hourly rates. Maybe not so cheeky to ask but fine for you to say sod off!

By way of further example, I want my DD to go to a CM who will cater for flexible shift pattern hours but not charge me 5 days a week - now I totally understand some will not do that (I take up a full time place and only pay 3.5 days a week) but some ARE willing to do so because several find it hard to get all full time mindees. So parents might think there is no harm in asking for flexibility/a deal/no charge for pre-school but you shouldn't mind about just saying NO!

Hi OP, I have been asked in the past and have refused to reduce rates - I'm a childcare professional with level 3 qualifications, do regular training and also deliver the same framework as local playgroups, nurseries and pre-schools. I do paperwork [and training] in my own time so they either take it or leave it hmm.

Might sound harsh, but we are running a business - I couldn't make ends meet as a cm to part-time children, which is all that was available where I live, and am now in a pt childcare job I hate, as well as being a cm sad.

Tell them to jolly along on and wait for that next phone call - unless you live where I do hmmgrin

llllll Mon 02-Nov-09 17:01:28

I had parents who wanted me to do "a deal" but I felt it would be unfair on my existing families. I later found out that they was why they were looking for a new childminder as there old one was fed up of her invoices being questioned all the time.

vInTaGeVioLeT Mon 02-Nov-09 20:21:02

i have a fixed hourly rate and i don't give sibling discounts {to me there is no advantage to looking after siblings!}

i have offered my friend a deal when we were both strugggling financially but i'd never do a deal with a fresh client.

i don't think it's so bad that they asked but equally don't feel bad when you say NO grin

atworknotworking Tue 03-Nov-09 07:37:49

Agree with the other posters, I don't give reductions at all, I charge an hours rate whether it's a full hour or part hour and I certainly don't offer sibling discounts, having siblings to me is more of a risk as you lose more in one go if they leave. And you still do the same job for each child, as DH says they don't poo less or eat any less than any other child.

I would say no, hold out for a full paying mindee I doubt many other minders would give discount either, so if they like you they will come back anyway.

Just to add as well I often find that parents who want to do deals are a pita long term and end up taking up more time and energy than full paying customers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now