Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

If it wasnt so laughable you would cry..........

(12 Posts)
theoriginalmummypoppins Thu 29-Oct-09 15:46:56

Thought some of you may commiserate me on this update.

My nanny joined me on 13th July. Paid a huge ( 3k )recruitment fee for her.

12 weeks and 4 days later she came to work very upset one morning. Her father is ill and she needs to go and nurse him until he dies.

DH and I agree that she can go at 2 days notice and take a months unaid compassionate leave.

We employ expensive temps to cover.

I pay her and text her to see how she is getting on at the half way point ( ie 2 weeks ). She ignores my text.

This morning the agency call. Yesterday she flew to Jamaica on holiday for 2 weeks. She has told the agency she is not coming back.

She promised them she would call me. Nothing.

Thank God the temp who started with us on Monday is so fab and has accepted the job permanently but what an appalling way to behave when there are so many fab nannies unemployed at the moment.

Even worse that she asked me to write a letter to lie about why she wasnt working so she could claim income support whilst she was off.

shock

Ebb Thu 29-Oct-09 17:19:54

shock

I hope you told ex nanny to take a jump out the plane without a parachute! Cheeky mare!

Glad new nanny is fab and will hopefully stay fab.

bigdonna Thu 29-Oct-09 17:21:40

i totally agree that is a awful way to behave good job you have a sense of humour.glad you have tared all nannies with the same brush.i am a cm but was a nanny for 16yrs before this good luck.

bigdonna Thu 29-Oct-09 17:23:16

sorry meant to say you have not tarred all nannies with same brush

Northernlurker Thu 29-Oct-09 17:29:08

Err well whilst it's very tricky for you to be left in the lurch I have some sympathy with your nanny tbh - if the whole thing about the father being ill is true. That's a hugely stressful situation for her and whilst she would was quite wrong to attempt to claim benefits and attempt to involve you in that - she was facing her family responsibilities without the back up of any paid compassionate leave at all. Are you sure the trip to Jamaica is a holiday - that isn't where her family live is it? Also - if you sent me a text during a very stressful time I would probably ignore it too. Anyway - she's gone and you have a nice shiny new nanny so what's the big deal? Presumably you will be claiming some of the recruitment fee back as the nanny stayed for so short a time and keft without notice?

drinkyourmilk Thu 29-Oct-09 17:55:36

Northernlurker - I'm sure you don't mean it but that comes across as quite callous!

OP - I'd be pretty cheesed off with that situation, it's a huge stress finding childcare and i'm impressed with the way you are handling it. I'd be sceaming blue murder! I wondering if Northernlurker is on the right track - maybe it was her fathers dying wish to go to Jamica? I'm assuming she was far too embarrassed to speak to you - not very mature, but it happens. Hopefully your newly found nanny will continue to do a fab job (btw-you've probably made her day!)

Millarkie Thu 29-Oct-09 18:34:29

Oh Heck TOMP! Take deep breaths, Thank God for new fab temp, and hope that karma exists for 'very probably lying ex-nanny'.
Is the agency taking any responsibility?

HarrietTheSpook Thu 29-Oct-09 19:33:04

shock shock

Horrible for you.

Am quite interested to know whether she is (probably improbably) FROM Jamaica and deciding not to return to the UK. Or simply breezing off on a lovely holiday and not returning TO YOU.

£3k. Please, please tell me they're finding someone else for you.

theoriginalmummypoppins Thu 29-Oct-09 20:09:37

no she is from gloucestershire and so are her parents. She has gone on holiday and has told the agency that.

Yes the agency are replacing her for free and have said they wont place her with a family again.

How may employers do you know that would give you a month off when you havent even completed your probationery period ??? Paid or not.

Im a fine as I have a great replacement but I feel a complete mug. She even had the cheek to say that when she gets back from hols she would like to come and say goodbye to the children !

hands up who thinks I will have her in my house again ?

Reference anyone ?

frakula Thu 29-Oct-09 23:08:14

You WHAT? How absolutely awful!

Reference, of course. "X worked for me from xxx to xxx. She left claiming she needed to look after her sick father but informed the agency she was flying to Jamaica for a holiday 2 weeks later. During the time she worked for me she was X, Y, Z. I am happy to be contacted should you wish to discuss this reference further.

TOMP"

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 30-Oct-09 08:55:01

I was omg and shocked when i got your email yesterday saying this shock

Im also still in shock about ex charges having chococlate spread on white bread for breakfast - but thats a different story!!! wink

From what you have said your temp nanny sounds fab, so really pleased that she is going to be your permament.

As i said yesterday your ex nanny has behaved appallingly and very UNPROFESSIONAL

Cant beleive that she wants a reference - cheeky cow - let alone wants to come and say bye to the children who tbh have probably forgotten who she is anyway

does she have to come back to get her stuff as live in and give you back her set of keys?

MonsterousNasalPustule Fri 30-Oct-09 18:29:13

Blimey.

She had a flying figs chance of saying good bye.

I nursed my mum to the end and replied to texts sent by concerned ex-employers and friends, it helped knowing people where thinking of us.

Hope the agency stick to their word and don't place her agian.

As for a reference as basic as possible with the line, "I would be very happy to talk about X, please contact me on ....."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now