Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

paying a retainer and then no place during that week?

(9 Posts)
helliepac Thu 29-Oct-09 11:56:48

Short and sweet quick question for you lovely childminders out there. I pay a retainer during school holidays etc. This, I assumed, was to keep my children's places open. I wanted CM to have my 2 for one morning this week but she has said she is full. She has obviously therefore filled my places? Am i wrong to be a little annoyed about this. I thought the whole point of the retainer was that my places were open to use if i wished and th retainer is so she has an income but she has obviously made money on top of this?

What do you think/what is childminder etiquette on this? She is fantastic in all other ways btw so am not thinking of leaving just wondering whether to have a word or not?

TIA

BradfordMum Thu 29-Oct-09 12:03:21

She can only charge a retainer if the place is available to YOU should you need it.
She should reimbourse you as the place wasn't available.

HSMM Thu 29-Oct-09 12:38:37

Check your contract, but I would say that 'normally' a retainer reserves the space for you.

Snooch Thu 29-Oct-09 13:35:01

Yup, you're right, a childminder would normally be obliged to keep that space open for YOU, that's why you're paying! There may be something different in the contract so check that first - if not, then I would most definitely have a gentle word and if she's as good as you say, should not be offended if you do! She should also by rights reimburse you your retainer as Bradfordmum said.

looneytune Thu 29-Oct-09 14:39:32

Same as everyone else!

drinkyourmilk Thu 29-Oct-09 15:03:29

Maybe you are paying the retainer so she will still have your place during term-time. Ergo - she won't fill your place with a permanent mindee.

Just a thought.

Katymac Thu 29-Oct-09 15:11:17

The way I worked it (before charging F/T in the holidays) was that the 'retainer' was to retain the place for the following term - otherwise I could 'sell' your space to anyone who wanted it - this could be the case here

Danthe4th Thu 29-Oct-09 16:52:46

You may find that you are paying to keep the space available so she doesn't fill it in the term. Read youre contract and ask for a chat to clarify. If you have never used the space in the holidays how much warning did you give the minder that you wanted the space. She is perfectly entitled to try to fill the space for full fee in the holidays but not in the term time.

helliepac Thu 29-Oct-09 17:02:23

Thanks for the replies everyone...can't find my contract to see what it says.blush I don't think I will say anything having thought about it because she is so wonderful and we have never had a cross word so don't want to start now but i will check out my contract and think about saying well in advance if i want her to have DC's during holidays.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now