Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

DH is now my assistant - some questions.......

(5 Posts)
looneytune Wed 28-Oct-09 18:03:18

DH was made redundant a week and a bit ago and is now registered as my assistant. He will hopefully be a childminder in his own right at some point soon but it certainly won't be this year. My questions are:

1) What happens re. income etc? Do I really have to pay him a wage? If so, what do I need to do?

2) I was told when you employ an assistant you have to do appraisals etc, please tell me I don't have to with my own dh?

3) Any of you that co-mind with your dh, how do you decide who does what? (i.e. things like dinner etc?)

4) Any other advice?

By the way, he starts on Friday (although only need him for 45 mins that day!)

TIA

HSMM Wed 28-Oct-09 20:54:34

I am doing everything and DH will 'volunteer' when he becomes my assistant. Can we do this?

Katymac Wed 28-Oct-09 21:02:21

1)My DH volunteers
2)You must be kidding
3)me (well we have a staff meeting but basically what I says, goes)
4)Good luck

Today had three staff on duty but DH decided to cook lunch, serve it & serve pudding too

OFTSTED commented that I had 4 peole caring for the children (not allowed) I pointed out that I was employing 3 (as I was busy with her) & was she brave enough to tell DH to get out of his own kitchen

She said 'Umm no' & changed the subject

Katymac Wed 28-Oct-09 21:04:56

But there may be NI issues for your DH - think about his pension - you may need to py the lower earnings limit so he gets NI contributions (from you)

atworknotworking Thu 29-Oct-09 09:55:38

Same as me Looney smile

1) DH is s/emp just wiggle your tax returns about to get your allowances used up, he will have to pay NI cons obv.

2) Appraisals are the best bit grin

3) Depends who's best at multitasking we just tend to go with the flow, but I usually do B/fast/Lunch/Tea DH does snacks sometimes.

4) Treat each other as work colleagues, keep personal stuff for after work, start as you mean to go on, get out and about as much as you can, get DH reg'd asap, remember the rules about both registers and who can look after which group etc (drives me potty) Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now