Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

your views please....only one reference

(15 Posts)
clho Tue 27-Oct-09 18:01:04

evening all

i have been a nanny for seven years now - and have spent all seven years with the same family. they have four children- three of which ive looked after since they were newborns and the second eldest has special needs so i have lots of varied experience.

however they are movng aboard next year which means i`m lookig for a new job. the problem is that most agencies and most familes all require at lesst two references and obviously i only have the one.

would you take on a nanny with only one (very good reference? if not, does anyone have any suggestions? i really love my job and would hate to take to have to take a step back simply because of this.

thankss in advance

Stillsquaffingthesteamingblood Tue 27-Oct-09 18:02:42

Would absolutely not have a problem with just one reference in these circs.

cookielove Tue 27-Oct-09 18:02:58

Do you not have any one you can use as a character reference?

mistletoekisses Tue 27-Oct-09 18:08:57

Have you done no babysitting or any sort of additional work in 7 years?

Failing that, is there anyone else who you have had dealings with as a result of being with this family for 7 years (playgroup leaders for example) who could substantiate the reference from the family. As a sort of character reference as cookielove has said.

MonsterousNasalPustule Tue 27-Oct-09 18:34:58

Could someone related to the child with SN do you a character reference, but to be honest if you have only had the one job then employers can't quibble especially given the length of employment.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 27-Oct-09 18:39:32

have you done any other bs/temp/night work and get a ref from them?

if not maybe a character ref from family friend/doctor/teacher at school/playgroup?

7years in one job is good

clho Tue 27-Oct-09 19:13:57

Monsterous that is a great suggestion- thanks very much I will look into that.

Blondes- I have babysat for other families, but not very often TBH, however I will still ask them, and also maybe someone from the school the children attend will be able to hopefully write me a character reference.

Also if anyone is looking for a nanny in London, please let me know :D

Also if you are a qualified pop down your tutor from college/uni as a reference if they have moved on the college will provide a standard ref saying x studied here from x date to x date undertaking x course, she had x days absence etc etc.

Maybe get a regular babysitting job for next 6mths or so and get an additional reference.

I have to say 7yrs in one job is fab and should speak for itself really and not need an additional ref. advertise yourself privately as well think you will prob be snapped up and not have to worry about that additional ref.

HarrietTheSpy Tue 27-Oct-09 20:19:38

Seven years with one family - not at all a problem from a reference point of view. I can't imagine you'd be looking at a demotion of any kind. You've got plenty of good experience - quite possibly more than a nanny whose had, say three different jobs, but only ever looked after one child a time.

One thing I would ask a lot of questions around is your flexibility - what would you find hard about working for a new family after all that time with the same one? I guess what would be good in interviews is to communicate how the change presents opportunities for you - what you are looking forward to about moving on. I'm sure you won't do this but just like nannies must loathe parents going on about a much beloved nanny who left, the family doesn't want to feel that you were much happier with them etc. "With so and so we did things this way.." that sort of thing.

Good luck - am sure you won't be on the market for long.

clho Tue 03-Nov-09 10:48:55

more advice needed

i`m lucky enough to be on a good wage with my current family- £10 per hour net (when i started i was on £7.00 an hour net, they have been generous with their pay rises!) and they live in central london.

however,i`m not actually qualified in childcare- would this also be a problem in me getting a new job? should i am for £10 net hour, or set my expectations lower, considering i have no qualifications and only one professional reference?

2anddone Tue 03-Nov-09 12:24:44

Hi clho, you could actually be me writing this. I went to America as an aupair came back and nannied for a family for 10 years. I had no qualifications and only the one ref when I left though I got someone to give me a character ref as they had seen me with the chidren. I became a childminder to get round the whole quals thing (could this be an option for you?) I also went to the local high school as a teachng assistant which you could probably walk straight into with your experience of special needs. I am now (after 16 years childcare doing a nvq 3 as law is starting to dictate that the magical piece of paper is needed to show you know how to do your job hmm) Try to point out at interviews that you have all this experience after all the majority of parents would take someone with years of practical experience and no qual over someone with only work experience placement and a bit of paper. Good Luck

argento Tue 03-Nov-09 13:36:33

I don't think the qualification matters that much clho - it matters more in your first job, but once you have a few years experience parents are more interested in that than in qualifications. I'd still aim for £10 net, but maybe be prepared to negotiate.

MaximumNoisePollution Tue 03-Nov-09 13:54:38

I nannied for 14 yrs with no recognisable qualificatin and did almost 3yrs as a Maternity Nanny before doing the MNT course for the piece of paper, having already looked after newborn twins and triplets.

andagain Tue 03-Nov-09 14:57:06

I personally would not have a problem at all that you don't have childcare qualifications and we never asked for them when advertising for a nanny. What matters more in my eyes is experience, common sense and loving and caring nature. I would look at it as plus that you spent so long with one family. I can't see you having a problem with getting a new job given the years of experience you have and good reference your current employer will give you. Good luck!

StillSquiffy Tue 03-Nov-09 15:38:44

Lack of quals not a problem - experience is more important.

But you should not aim for what you currently earn, you should aim for the going market rate for an experienced nanny in the area you want to work in. That may/may not be the same amount, but you need to be flexible in the current climate (example: 6 months ago I advertised for an AP. Got about 4 suitable applicants interested. Last month I advertised again - exactly same advert - and got 84 good applicants). times are tough at the moment for jobhunters (but no reason to think you won't get a job as long as you price yourself correctly).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now