Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is there anyone who has successfully employed a student

(4 Posts)
HarrietTheSpy Tue 27-Oct-09 14:15:20

for a few hours during the afternoons for childcare?

I mean either a childcare student or a babysitter type person from a university or college that needs a bit of spare cash.

If our current au pair doesn't agree to stay a full year, then I realise that after Christmas I need to get my head round finding her replacement. Her role is to help our nanny out during the periods when we share with another family and me in the mornings, no sole charge duties. She just has to be useful and get along nicely with the children and nanny, that's it. I could do w/o the morning help if we could find the nanny a suitable 'assistant' twice a week.

Our current au pair is great - to the extent I can't believe I'd ever be this lucky again. Further to the other thread I'm not entirely sold on live in though.

People always say; "why not try to find a student" but I've never heard of someone who's actually made this work. Thoughts?

frakula Tue 27-Oct-09 15:39:07

Well I've been the student in question doing it!

I imagine you could be less fussed about tons of sole charge childcare experience as it's not sole charge. Try advertising at your local student's union, who should have some form of job-centre, or in departments where people will either have not many lectures or childcare experience. Music, English and History would be good candidates for the former! Language students may have spent a gap year au pairing abroad too. Or maybe another local au pair who isn't needed the hours you need? Not sure what your schedule is exactly, but could that work?

HarrietTheSpy Tue 27-Oct-09 16:01:12

Not really, unfortunately, it's prime school pick up/after school care time. I will definitely try the student unions, that's a good idea.

Millarkie Tue 27-Oct-09 17:38:19

We've employed a student teacher for holiday cover (as a nanny with sole charge). Not tried to find one for after school help though cos we need live in for term time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now