Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do you all do about childcare for children who have just started secondary school?

(12 Posts)
HerBewitcheditude Mon 26-Oct-09 08:59:37

Am just wondering about this as DS is starting secondary school next year. He's still too young to be left to come home alone IMO, but too old to go to a childminder and I'm not sure if there are after school clubs for secondary school children are there?

What's the normal solution?

hercules1 Mon 26-Oct-09 09:15:46

Dh had a year off work when ds started secondary school. After that comes home to an empty house.

paddingtonbear1 Mon 26-Oct-09 09:20:04

I was thinking about this too, but dd is nowhere near secondary age yet! An ex-colleague of mine used to do all sorts of juggling with various friends and neighbours. I was a latchkey kid from the age of 10, but I'm not sure I want dd to be - not that young anyway.

Katymac Mon 26-Oct-09 09:50:38

As a childminder I regularly have children of that age - they 'help' me with the babies - Boys are particularly caring imo as long as none of their peers see them

Danthe4th Mon 26-Oct-09 11:50:51

My eldest would have loved coming home to an empty house but my 2nd dd wouldn't like it and at 13 is still not that keen but she usually goes to a neighbour if she needs to and with mobile phones she is fine just so long as she can talk to me. Its fine in the summer but its the winter especially as the clocks have changed. I would consider a cm or a neighbour, what does your ds think, as some are quite happy they just go on msn and facebook so theyre not exactly on their own.

HerBewitcheditude Mon 26-Oct-09 11:57:38

I haven't mooted it with him yet, it seems so far off...

But I have been wondering what to do.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 26-Oct-09 12:24:26

my friends ds started secondary last year

he was happy to go home, have a snack, watch a bit of tv/go on msn etc and then my friend back about 6pm

so normally home alone from 3.45/4 to 6pm

friend wasnt so happy but had no other choice

her ds would have been mortifed to go to cm at 11 nearly 12

VulpusinaWilfsuit Mon 26-Oct-09 12:36:05

Some primary afterschool clubs also cater for older kids too...

Libra Mon 26-Oct-09 12:37:15

We had an au pair for the first two years after DS1 went to secondary school.

Ostensibly she was there to pick DS2 up from school, but she was also there when DS1 came home, so there was someone in the house to see that he did not empty the fridge.

HerBewitcheditude Tue 27-Oct-09 07:10:21

Au pair sounds a v. good idea, but I don't think I can fit one in the house now - and the govt don't pay CTC for them, so wouldn't be able to afford one anymore.

Most of my neighbours are barking or working so that wouldn't be an option.

Will definitely continue to work part time I think... was toying with the idea of going ft but I don't like the idea of him coming home every day to an empty house. Different if it's only twice a week, but even that I'm not sure he'll be ready for by then.

And yes, take the point about them being mortified to go to a CM or primary after school club at that age.

purepurple Tue 27-Oct-09 07:34:22

DD is in Yr8 and has come home to an empty house since the beginning of high school.
Or mostly she goes to a friend's house.
Sometimes she has to lock up the house as I sometimes have to leave before she does.
She is (failrly) sensible and I trust her.

WideWebWitch Tue 27-Oct-09 21:08:38

It's a right PITA imo.

We have an after school nanny as dd (who is nearly 6) also needs collecting and will do for some years to come.

Most schools have after school / homework clubs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now