Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Holiday pay for 1 day a week nanny?

(10 Posts)
mummywoowoo Sun 25-Oct-09 20:42:15

What's reasonable/ normal?

thanks!

xoxcherylxox Sun 25-Oct-09 20:46:48

well its 5.6 weeks holiday so even if they are only 1 day a week its still five weeks so therefore 5 days, which would be one day a week i dont no how the .6 wrks if some ppl round it up to another day

nbee84 Sun 25-Oct-09 20:49:35

The minimum she is legally entiled to is 5.6 days which most employers would round up to 6. Does she work on a Monday? If so, you can take bank holidays out od this entitlement, but obviously that leaves her no days to choose for her own holiday so you may need to think further on that one (generally you choose half and she chooses half, though legally you can dictate when she takes all her holiday).

MrAnchovy Sun 25-Oct-09 20:58:41

In the UK a one day a week nanny is entitled to 5.6 days (you can't round this down, so effectively 6 days) of paid holiday each year. This can include bank holidays so if you have paid her for any weeks she has not worked because of a bank holiday she has already had some of this allowance.

In theory there is no entitlement to holiday pay, she must take (and you must allow her to take) 6 days off. But in practice you can both agree to pay the normal rate for any days not taken.

mummywoowoo Sun 25-Oct-09 21:15:26

thanks a lot.

6 days pro-rata'd for 6 months would be 3 days in this case then, probably 2 days over Christmas, which I'massuming she'd be up for anyway, and she can chose the third.

Nicadooby Mon 26-Oct-09 13:00:27

So if your employing a nanny for 1 day per week for only 6 months then yes 3 days holiday is fine but if it were me i'd be a little annoyed that out of those 3 days i could only choose the one!

Is that what your saying or have i got confussed?

mummywoowoo Mon 26-Oct-09 16:53:55

well wouldn't you like to take christmas off? bit sacred for me...

hmm..maybe i'll say christmas can be one day then...

xoxcherylxox Mon 26-Oct-09 20:15:48

christmas is a friday is that the day she works?

mummywoowoo Mon 26-Oct-09 22:38:26

well its to be a flexible day according to our schedules... sometimes Monday sometimes Tues or Thursday.

Does this exclude bank holidays??

xoxcherylxox Mon 26-Oct-09 22:41:04

well if it doesnt include a friday then she would be off christmas anyways so you cant take that as a holiday unless maybe her day feel on the xmas eve and she wanted that off. yea the 6 days includes bank holidays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now