Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

At around what age have you found children understand the word "No"

(11 Posts)
Supernanny19 Sun 25-Oct-09 08:59:30

Just curious to the question above - clearly children all develop at different stages. However, just want to see the average age. Thanks all.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 25-Oct-09 09:03:46

at 8mths my dc was crawling and would go for db dvd collection/wide screen tv etc and would get told no and knew what it meant and would stop

though my 4yr also knows what no means though doesnt always listen grin

nannynick Sun 25-Oct-09 09:24:43

No as a word, rather than as a tone of voice? I think around 18 months. Before then they know it more as a tone I feel.

Ewe Sun 25-Oct-09 09:25:55

My 19 month old definitely knows what no means and has done for a few months. She does choose to ignore it most of the time however!

belgo Sun 25-Oct-09 09:28:09

My ds is one year and understands 'no' but he probably understands more the tone of voice in which I say it.

sweetnitanitro Sun 25-Oct-09 09:39:17

DD just turned one and has understood 'no' for a couple of months. She usually responds with a cheeky grin hmm I try to tell her why she can't do something rather than just saying 'no' eg when she's after the cats' bowl (which she always is) I say 'no, dirty'. Not sure if it's a tone of voice thing with DD or not, she follows other simple instructions (point to the cat, go and get teddy etc) so maybe she does understand the word and just chooses to ignore it grin

alwayslookingforanswers Sun 25-Oct-09 09:43:25

understands - around 12-18 months

listens........variable grin

frakula Sun 25-Oct-09 11:08:36

One 9mo I looked after understood the tone and by the time she as 11months understood the word as well because I remember not using the very firm no-don't-touch tone one time she motioned for more cheese and I just said 'no, no more' without any body language or tone and she obviously understood (and looked very resigned!)

Others have understood the word at just over a year but the tone much earlier.

mananny Sun 25-Oct-09 11:16:37

Most of the bubbas I have looked after understood the tone at around 9-12 months and the word at 12-18 months (but most of them laughed/ignored still )

crokky Sun 25-Oct-09 11:21:12

Can vary lots - my DD (youngest child) understood it before she was 12 months, but my DS was around 18-22 months.

thebody Sun 25-Oct-09 23:41:46

tone 9 to 12 months, listen maybe 18,19!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now