Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Babysitting £?

(17 Posts)
waitress Sat 24-Oct-09 09:45:08

How much do you pay your babysitter.We have decided to go out more this year and pay our babysitter £5 an hour.Just wanted to check we are on track..too much too little??

MilkNoPoisonPlease Sat 24-Oct-09 09:51:24

where you are where are you and what is the age and exoeriance if babysitterr?

In N.london £5 isnt alot-i used to get that when i was 17

cat64 Sat 24-Oct-09 09:51:24

Message withdrawn

cat64 Sat 24-Oct-09 09:51:37

Message withdrawn

Fruitbatlings Sat 24-Oct-09 10:00:21

SW London £8-10 per hour. I think teenagers charge around £5/£6 per hour. I would say £20 minimum

Danthe4th Sat 24-Oct-09 13:12:29

My 14 year old dd gets £5 per hour I get between £8 and £10 per hour minimum of £30 but if I was getting a regular booking I may do it for slightly less, and if you were local and I didn't have to drive.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 24-Oct-09 13:30:10

depends on the babysitter and their age/exp

I charge £10ph and have a minimum of 4hrs

£5 does seem very low but if you are using a teenager then would make sense

grumpyskater Sat 24-Oct-09 13:40:27

I usually pay £6/h, in SW London, using teenagers age 15-18, to sit for 11 year old (so not exactly hard work). I think that's quite generous, tho I do cap at £25 for max of 5 hours. Rates higher (£7-9/h) for qualified, older minders, which I don't need. DH and I don't go out enough because it just gets too expensive, but I guess it's only for a few more years now!

cat64 Sat 24-Oct-09 14:13:12

Message withdrawn

henryhuggins Sat 24-Oct-09 14:33:15

we pay £5.50 an hour for a 17 year old in w london. more for our older sitters,

It really does depend on the experience and qualifications of your babysitter and the area you live.

As a qualified childrens nurse with a wide range of childcare experience of all ages I charge £12 an hr and have a min of 3hrs charge. I am in east midlands.

I also as part of my mon-fri job running babysitting courses for 13-17/18yr olds and we suggest from £2.50 (for 13yr olds) upto £5/6 an hr (17/18yr olds) when they have completed the course obv depending on other experience they may or may not have.

Also its what your babysitter is happy with as a teenager I babysat for all the families around our green from 13-17yrs old and got £2 an hr from a few families and £10 a night from others (this is 12-16yrs ago though!!)

2anddone Sat 24-Oct-09 19:04:29

You run the course for 13 year olds? I though t that you couldn't babysit until you were 14? (BTW not passing judgement just interested as I know a very mature 13 year old who I would leave dc with but have never done so as thought they were too young by law!)

GooberIsLockedInTheBootOfMyCar Sat 24-Oct-09 19:08:55

There should be a law but I don't think there is any more regarding age.
My DD, 13 is on one of these courses at the mo.
I pay her £2 an hour to look after her brother who is 10 and no bother.

pippin26 Sat 24-Oct-09 23:58:56

Did you know an OFsted Registered Childminder who is a member of NCMA and uses the babysitting checklist is INSURED to babysit. And just think of what else you are getting - a qualified, trained childcarer with first aid training.
Prices for babysitting (in child's own home) will vary across the country, I am in the NE and charge £6/7 per hour before midnight

BadPoet Sun 25-Oct-09 00:04:15

I pay £6 ph to nearly 17yo, a neighbour with lots of experience (& 3 younger sibs)

There is no law for babysitting however the parents are still responsible for the children if left in the care of someone under the age of 16yrs.

Some 13yr olds would be much more mature, capable and responsible than some 18yr olds.

waitress Wed 28-Oct-09 15:15:05

Thank you everybody,so sorry for the delay our computer crashed.Looks like we are on-track then.Quite often she gets a 20 from us as my husband is generous.Our older girl sits with her but baby always asleep and we are never later than 10ish..She is 17 and such a kind-hearted girl and lives close by so we always give her a ride home.We just wanted to make sure we keep her happy as she always says 'whatever',when we ask her how much she would like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now